Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA examples — Parallax Forums

VGA examples

TuffyTuffy Posts: 4
edited 2007-01-14 23:28 in Propeller 1
I'm a total newbie wanting to use a VGA display (Lilliput LCD unit). The text demo works fine but running the bitmap or VGA demo programs I get an 'overrange' error. Can anyone tell me what my problem is?

Tuffy

Comments

• Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2006-12-28 21:38
    Tuffy,
    I don't know the answer to your question , But I do remember chip saying somthing about that lcd's are very fussy.

Brian
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-12-28 21:48
    can it display 1024 x 768 which is the signal resolution used?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-28 21:56
    The "overrange" error means that the display can't handle the scan rates or resolution of the display driver. Some of the VGA drivers (like the hires text display) can be configured for other display resolutions. Have a look at the source of the VGA driver. Sometimes there are several sets of constants with only one set without comment characters. You can switch from 1024x768 to 800x600 or 640x480 by changing to another set of constants and recompiling.
  • TuffyTuffy Posts: 4
    edited 2006-12-29 02:20
    Thanks for your responses, guys. Having re-read my LCD data I suspect that 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 are my only valid options. So Mike, I understand what you are saying but have no iodea where to change teh values you are referring to, nor what to change the values to. Have I overlooked this section of the manual??

Tuffy
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-29 05:04
    Tuffy,
    It's not in any manual. There's a VGA hires text driver posted here some months ago by Chip Gracey. It may be in the Propeller Object Exchange or included with the current Propeller Tool. I don't have my laptop with me to check. If you look at the first page or so of the source for this, you'll see 3 groups of constant definitions, one for each resolution I mentioned. Two of these groups are commented out. You just have to change which group is compiled. Have a look ... it should be pretty straightforward.
    Mike
    edited 2007-01-10 03:12
    Thanks Mike,
    I found the information you suggested and all is now well ! Sorry for the delayed response - it's summer holidays time over here in NZ
    Laurie
  • Areal PersonAreal Person Posts: 197
    edited 2007-01-10 16:34
    @Tuffy

How do the Graphics look on this LCD ? I'm interested in trying this LCD if it works good.
    any way to get a photo ? What's the specs on your LCD unit ?

Thanks,
    -Areal

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I have a tree growing out of my head, but

what do you expect ? I'm a programmer.
    edited 2007-01-14 23:28
    Lilliput display looks good with the text display but I 'spoke too soon' with regard to the 800x600 graphics. I now seem to have blown the display monitor by over-driving it. So it's a nice display but perhaps not as robust as it could be...

Tuffy