Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
boe-bot and linux — Parallax Forums

boe-bot and linux

nemsisnemsis Posts: 6
edited 2013-11-04 16:51 in Robotics
just wondering if anyone in the forum is programming the boe-bot in linux,
My Grandson has a serial version and will be programming in windows, I have a USB version and want to program in Linux.
Chritmas presents, you know how it is.

Thanks
nemsis

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-12-26 21:16
    Check this page, third green bar from top. www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • nemsisnemsis Posts: 6
    edited 2006-12-26 21:36
    Thanks, as they say, been there done that.
    Parallax does not seem to support any of these optoins, so it is hard to find someone ta ask questions of.
    The fiirst two items on the list point to a "source forge" project which is far from complete.
    The tihird item is confusing.
    The fourth and fifth are not marked as "Not supported by Parrallax" but there is nothing in the additional information column.
    I do appreciate the quick response.

Thanks
    nemsis
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-12-26 23:26
    bstamp.sourceforge.net/ looks like pretty complete instructions.
    www.linuxjournal.com/article/7403 is a project using BS and linux.
    What are your specific questions? Maybe we can help. If you don't like the tools for linux perhaps a used windows box for programming would work better for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • rePeterePete Posts: 18
    edited 2007-01-04 03:03
    I'm running ubuntu and can access the board of education serial version using the windows software and WINE

I used sidenet 1.90 to configure wine after installing it.

Really didn't have high hopes but it detected the BOE on the first try smile.gif

Post Edited (rePete) : 1/4/2007 4:15:50 AM GMT
    edited 2007-01-05 23:28
    Thanks,
    I'm running fedora core 6, don't have wine installed.
    I'm trying to get the USB BoeBot running from the Source Forge program.
    The current problem is that when I try to install (make install) the source code I get an error saying that "ldconfig" is not found.
    I am assuming that the problem is with Fedora and that the ldcongig file is in a non-standard location, but I have not had much time to work on it lately.
    Perhaps this weekend.

Thanks again.
    nemsis
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2007-01-06 01:40
    This is slightly off topic, but may be of use to anybody reading this post.

I recently installed Oracle Enterprise Linux, and the free version of VMWare Server for Linux. Under VMWare, I created a Windows 2000 VM, and have been able to successfully program a HomeWork board with it.

The only quirk is that every once in awhile, the program successfully compiles but doesn't load into the BS2, probably due to a serial port timing conflict between Linux & VMWare. When it happens, I just click download again, and it works fine.
    edited 2007-01-10 04:55
    have a core partition - might give it a try. think ldconfig is in /sbin/

maybe a dumb question - are you make install(ing) as root? maybe add /sbin/ before the ldconfig line in the Makefile

I gave the bstamp tool a try but couldn't get it to work with the usb/serial converter (didn't put much time into it so I was likely doing something silly - be interested to know if you getting working on core 6).

good luck,

-Pete
    edited 2007-01-10 20:07
    Thanks,
    Dumb of me, but I never thought of adding /sbin/ to the make file.
    It compilres now.
    Still can't do anythingt with it, but I am one step closer.

Thanks
  • hacktorioushacktorious Posts: 72
    edited 2007-01-31 20:29
    rePete,

Which version of Ubuntu are you using? I am going to attempt getting PBasic 2.5 to work on Kubuntu with Wine. I have one more layer of complexity in that I first have to create an 32-bit chroot environment to run it in because I have a 64-bit system.

Thanks.
    edited 2007-01-31 23:26
    I'm running Fedora Core 6.
    Currently bstamp_tokenize works fine, but bstamp_run won't work. It will not communicate with the stamp and keeps giving me an error message.
    It is beyond my skills and I have asked for help on the sourceforge mail list.

nemsis
    edited 2007-02-02 01:24
    I successfully installed wine, got a 32-bit environment setup and was able to get PBasic 2.5 to work in Kubuntu 6.10. I can communicate with the robot without any problem. However, there are a few minor issues.

I am not able to access the directories on the left because of permissions or something, which isn't a problem for me. Also, the help utility is complaining because it requires something from Windows sp2.
    edited 2007-02-10 01:53
    Hacktorious,

I'm running 6.10 - running the 32 bit version, guess that makes life a little easier.

I didn't have much luck with thelp utility either, of course that's what these forums are for [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-02-10 02:37
    It is buggy running under linux with wine and I'm not able to get the linux version of PBasic working. I am getting a segmentation fault. I am not certain what is causing it. I will keep trying until I succeed. I just rebuilt an old 32 bit laptop with Xubuntu and will try that next.
    edited 2007-02-10 19:56
    I finally got my bot to work from Linux. Fedora Core 6.
    I am using the Source Forge bstamp code and not trying to use wine.
    I had to play with the C++ code to get "bstamp_run" to recognize the stamp, and I am really not sure why what I did worked.
    The code changes are on the bstamp mail list.
    Anyway, it seems to work, although I ran into a problem today with the "DEBUGIN" command. This may not be supported under Linux, but I have not had time to check it out yet,

Nemesis
  • hglez86hglez86 Posts: 1
    edited 2013-11-02 08:54
    Hi everyone, I have a Boe-Bot which is Rev. C with a serial connector, but I have a usb to serial adaptor. I typed:

$ lsusb

and found it to be autodetected as:

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

I'm trying to follow the instructions at SourceForge but they say to type a serial port number and I don't know what I should type there, help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to go back to Windows. I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 by the way.

This is the part I'm talking about in the manual:

Finally, create a 'symbolic link' in your system's "/dev" directory that points to the serial port where your BASIC Stamp will be connected: (Note: you will need to do this as "root" super-user, as well.)

cd /dev
    ln -s ttyS# bstamp
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2013-11-04 16:51
    Do a 'dmesg' and look for /dev/usb<something>, it'll probably be /dev/usb0 if there are no other serial devices. ttyS<something> would be a real (not USB) serial connection. Seeing how old this thread is it's no wonder the instructions are so obsolete.. it's probably a good idea to look for newer instructions for using the boe-bot.

-Tor