Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Propeller Chip and dialup modems — Parallax Forums

Parallax Propeller Chip and dialup modems

justin weberjustin weber Posts: 36
edited 2006-12-23 15:52 in Propeller 1
I had posted before about using a socketmodem on a chip with a BS2 micro and some serial boards from mulitlabs.net(ezvid and ezmouse), but I have waited awhile for another micro to make that easier. What could be easier than the Propeller chip(or cheaper)? All I would need to add to the Propeller demo board is a modem, And I currently have 5 socketmodems(33.6 kbps). I have two questions.
First, The socketmodem is 5V TTL levels and I'm not sure how to safely hook that up to the left over IO pins. I know to isolate the POTS tip/ring to the modem chip, but not what is necessary at the micro side.
Second, Does anybody have a primer or tutorial on how to hook up a modem device to the propeller or any micro for that matter? thanks for any responses.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-23 15:46
    1) Look at the "sticky thread" in this forum called HOW TO SAFELY INTERFACE A 5V SIGNAL TO THE PROPELLER?
    2) Use the FullDuplexSerial object in the library that comes with the Propeller Tool to send/receive serial information to/from the modem.
  • justin weberjustin weber Posts: 36
    edited 2006-12-23 15:52
    that works. thanks for the quick reply