Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfacing a Hardisk and STA013 (MP3 Decoder from STMicroelectronics) w/ a BS2 — Parallax Forums

Interfacing a Hardisk and STA013 (MP3 Decoder from STMicroelectronics) w/ a BS2

CruxCrux Posts: 74
edited 2006-12-29 03:19 in BASIC Stamp
Is it possible that I could interface a BS2 ic with a hardisk then pass the MP3 data inside·Hardisk to the STA013 decoder chip?

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-23 06:12
    The BS2 isn't fast enough to move data - plus the BS2's 26 bytes of RAM is very limiting.
  • CruxCrux Posts: 74
    edited 2006-12-26 10:41
    how about the SX?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-26 18:19
    The SX and Propeller are fast enough to feed an STA013. (Here's a nice article on the STA013: www.pjrc.com/mp3/sta013.html). The main problem you'll face is dealing with a file system on the hard disk drive. You could come up with your own scheme for storing the MP3 files, but, if you want to access them from a PC, you'll need to use the FAT file system (for Windows) or EXT2 (for Linux). One of the forum participants has been working on a set of routines for the Propeller for the FAT system.

As an alternative, you could control an MP3 player from a BS2. Vinculum (www.vinculum.com) makes the VMUSIC1 which uses a USB interface for its mass storage. Rogue Robotics makes the uMP3 which uses an SD/MMC card. Both are controllable via a serial interface. The BS2 could manage a display and keypad and control the player.
    edited 2006-12-28 12:01
    Can your company vouch for orders from those MP3 player module maker you have mentioned awhile ago. It is very hard to purchase products outside from the Philippines if we dont have distributors.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-28 16:19
    Although this forum is supported by Parallax, unless the information is posted by a Parallax employee, it's based strictly on personal experience and is not supported by Parallax. Rogue Robotics is located in Markham, Ontario, Canada (www.roguerobotics.com) and Vinculum is a product line of FTDI in Glasgow, Scotland, UK (www.ftdichip.com/). You might contact them to see if they have distributors for the Philippines.

I'm not a Parallax employee, but I like their products and the way they support them and I've used them in a variety of projects. I've used the Rogue Robotics' uMP3 and I'm experimenting with a Vinculum VDIP1 (and will probably try out a VMUSIC1 for another project in the next few months).
    edited 2006-12-29 03:19
    I think I like the VMUSIC of FTDI. Is it capable to handle fat32 file system and greater storage like 40 GB hardrives?