Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR Transmitter — Parallax Forums

IR Transmitter

jshrews23jshrews23 Posts: 8
edited 2006-12-23 14:13 in BASIC Stamp
· I am currently working on a project that involves an IR LED (QED123).· According to my instructions this·IR emitter·will be "transmitting a standard 2400 baud, 8-N-1 UART bitstream."

· I have read on the Parallax site in the downloads section under Miscellaneous, "Infrared Emitting Diode & 40 kHz Infrared" (http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/InfraredEmittingDiode.pdf).· Is there any other information you could give me about how to send a string of characters between an IR emitter and detector on separate Basic stamps (BS2) using a 2400 baud, 8N1 UART bitstream.

··Do I need to change the timing (start bit, stop bit, etc)?
· Do I need to set up an individual circuit·including a 555 timer?
· Can I use the basic stamp commands such as·SEROUT and SERIN to control the·emitter and receiver?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-12-23 14:13
    · The IR emitter will use SEROUT.· You'll need an IR·photo-transistor for the receiver and that will involve using SERIN.· I don't know about your instructions, but the QED123 is an IRED (infra-red emitting diode.)·

· You didn't provide any particulars for your project.· I don't know what your expectations are (so yours is a bit of a loaded question.)

· You can set up a Comm link using just an IR emitter going on/off, with a IR photo-transistor responding to (looking for) the IR on/off.· Simple.

· If you use modulation (38-kHz, etc.) your system will have better performance over distance as well as being less susceptible to ambient sources of·"interference",· but this introduces a layer or two·of complication.

·