Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running Stamp Editor Help — Parallax Forums

Running Stamp Editor Help

Clay LClay L Posts: 18
edited 2006-12-24 22:07 in BASIC Stamp
I did a search but didn't find this addressed.
I have installed the Stamp Editor v2.2 and started to experiment with· the Basic Stamp Homework Board. It seems to behave properly except that when I try to run Help by clicking on Help/Contents or Help/Index, it comes up with a screen·showing ·"Basic Stamp PBASIC Online Help" and stops (hangs up) there. It doesn't matter if I am connected to the internet or not.
I have re-installed the editor and tried·using repair with no luck.

I am using Windows XP SP2.

Anyone know what is going on?

Clay

Post Edited (Clay L) : 12/22/2006 10:04:32 PM GMT

Comments

• salcedosalcedo Posts: 1
    edited 2006-12-23 02:08
    I'm having the same problem. And you're right, it seems to work if I open the help from outside the editor. Thanks for the tip!
  • Clay LClay L Posts: 18
    edited 2006-12-23 15:05
    I had tried opening the help file but got a message box that said "This program must be run from the Stamp Editor software" Also just tried a shortcut - with the same results so that's not working for me for some reason.

There must be fix for this.

I have written a lot of help files over the years and I don't even know how to write a one that won't open when clicked, but it must have been done on purpose since the message above had to have been coded.

Anyone else out there know about this?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-24 06:00
    Clay,

·· This issue comes up every once in awhile and I always post the same link which lists a work around...This time I will offer an alternative link right to Microsoft for a possible solution.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-12-24 15:59
    Chris,
    Neither of the two methods listed by MS work.
    ·Method 1
    1. Double-click the .chm file.
    2. In the Open File-Security Warning dialog box, click to clear the Always ask before opening this file check box.
    3. Click Open.
    Double click yields the ""This program must be run from the Stamp· etc" box.
    Method 2
    1. Right-click the CHM file, and then click Properties.
    2. Click Unblock.
    3. Double-click the .chm file to open the file.
    Properties has no "Unblock" to click.
    You said you have another work around - could you post it?
    Clay
    edited 2006-12-24 17:12
    AGFA

Tried that - no luck!

Clay
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-24 18:03
    Clay,
    ·
    ·· Ya know…I should’ve re-checked the properties before I posted that.· Back when this problem first started happening we traced it to a Microsoft Security update.· When you right-clicked on the CHM (help) file it had security settings.· I just tried on mine and they’re not there.· So either another recent update corrected the issue or something is different between our versions of the help file.· I have V2.2.6 of the IDE installed.
    ·
    ·· The other work around I usually post is to run the Help File from the Start Menu shortcut rather than from within the editor.· 99% of the time that works.· Try downloading and installing the new version of the IDE and see if that works for you.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-12-24 18:42
    Chris,
    Opening the help file from the start menu does work .
    I also found that while a short cut to the help fle didn't work, a shortcut to the .chm file does.

I already have v2.2.6 installed.

Clay

Post Edited (Clay L) : 12/24/2006 6:46:34 PM GMT
    edited 2006-12-24 22:07
    The Help.exe file in the Stamp editor folder. I wasn't thinking, I should have looked for a .hlp file.

I have never converted a HTML file to .chm and few of the programs I work with use a .chm extension, and initially it didn't occur to me to try a shortcut to it. I was focused on the help.exe file with the wrong extension for some unknown reason.

Clay