Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to have BS2 push a button..... — Parallax Forums

How to have BS2 push a button.....

TaishoTaisho Posts: 34
edited 2006-12-22 16:27 in BASIC Stamp
I need someone to point me in the right direction. I tried searching but probably did not use right search terms.

I am working on a robot project using BS2 controllers on BoE boards. I want to mount a wal mart $15 kiddie digital camera that I ripped the guts out of. How would I go about having the button pushed? I am new to electronics so I know this is probably a stupid question. I was planning to have it take a pic whenever it encounters an object with the Ping module or if it detects motion in front of it when it stops and turns on the motion detector. My plan is to use these pics to tweak the code if it is not navigating as smoothly as I want.

The button is permanently mounted on the circuit card of the camera. It is a simple push button.

I have tried to think of a way to do it but I have been stumped and I have seen how resourceful you all are.....Thanks in advance for pointers....

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-22 16:14
    If you can make a connection to the circuit card where the pushbutton is attached, you can trigger the camera with a small relay. Radio Shack (and others) sell relays intended to be driven by something like a Stamp. They're usually rated for 5V operation and need to require 20ma or less to operate. You'll need a diode across the relay coil (like a 1N4001) to protect the Stamp from reverse current from the relay coil. See the What's a Microcontroller tutorial for examples. That also shows you how to control a higher current relay or motor from a Stamp using a switching transistor.
  • TaishoTaisho Posts: 34
    edited 2006-12-22 16:27
    Thank you. I will read that. I have downloaded the doc already so I will find the info in there. I will drop back in here when I get confused... smile.gif

Also I will be driving by a Radio Shack in a few minutes so thanks for the quick answer. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am determined to make my robot work....it may just be a little on the dim side..... smilewinkgrin.gif

Post Edited (Taisho) : 12/22/2006 4:41:53 PM GMT