Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Start with Stamp, what do I need? — Parallax Forums

Start with Stamp, what do I need?

AntonAnton Posts: 2
edited 2006-12-22 17:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I want to start with a Stamp, but I don't know what to buy.
A starter kit is possible, but that cost a lot to start with.

I have made a simple program with the BASIC Stamp Windows Editor v2.2.6.
Depending of 4 digital inputs 4 outputs will be high or low.

Is it enough to buy a BASIC Stamp 2 Module?
Do I need cables?
Must I have a Education Development Board (USB) or a BASIC Stamp 2 Carrier Board?

Who can help me?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-22 15:34
    Anton,
    ·
    ·· A starter kit makes it very easy to get started because you have everything you need (except power and a PC) to get started.· While you could use just a Stamp Module you would need at least a breadboard to plug it into.· Then you would have to make a custom serial cable to connect it to the PC (the dev board provides a standard connection) and you need to get power to the appropriate pins.· It can be more difficult if you’re new to electronics to do all this.· But technically if you have the serial cable (modified) it could be done.· One way around modding the serial cable is to use a standard straight through serial cable and then wire a DB9 female connector to your board.· Either way, the information on the connections is listed in our BASIC Stamp Manual which can be downloaded free from our website, as can the BASIC Stamp Editor.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • AntonAnton Posts: 2
    edited 2006-12-22 15:55
    Thanks, Chris.
    I have found 910-28103 Board of Education Full Kit Serial and USB compatible on the Parallax site.
    I think this is a good kit to start with.

But I can not find this kit on the site of Antratek in Holland.
    Can they deliver the kit also for $ 99,95 excl. porto?

Anton.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2006-12-22 16:32
    Hi Anton, I got into the Stamp around 4 month ago after a friend of mine bought the Basic Stamp activity set from Radio Shack, running at around $80 it's one of the cheapest kits available and has everything you need to get started. Anyway at the time I wanted an even cheaper option because I was unsure if I hade the time or brain to devote to an electronics hobby. So I bought the Stamp OEM in kit form for $30 adapted an old serial cable I had laying around and bought a few·Led's and resistors·from Radio Shack. Armed with those few components·totaling less than $40 and all the valuable·resources on the Parallax sight and forums ·I am still finding new things to do and learn. I guess my advice in the end would be get the best you can afford and if like me all you can afford is $40 that is still enough to get a tremendous amount of learning and fun.

good luck and welcome to the forum.

Jeff T.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-22 17:12
    Anton,
    ·
    ·· You would have to contact them directly for that information.· As for the BS2-OEM Module, I did not recommend it because it requires one to be fluent in soldering and reading a schematic to build it, since it is available only in kit form at that price.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support