Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How To Make a Free Website — Parallax Forums

How To Make a Free Website

Sean McGillSean McGill Posts: 1
edited 2006-12-21 14:12 in General Discussion
can anybody tell me, how to build a good website. I have read many article regarding web design
so please give me a good answer

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 12/21/2006 3:58:20 PM GMT

Comments

• Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2006-12-21 07:25
    This thread was moved from Forum Support because it was not relevant to using the Parallax Forums.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-21 07:58
    Like anything else, it all depends on what you want to accomplish. What do you consider a good website? What is the purpose of the website?

There are lots of books that you can find in any large bookstore on website design, usually for commercial websites. Many community colleges offer courses on website design

There are lots of products on the market that will put together a website for you on a "what you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG) basis. They take care of a lot of the HTML details for you. I happen to use a Mac and their iWeb software will pretty much make a website for you if you want to share pictures or audio or video or set up a simple blog. I just bought a new version of Freeway Express, a more general website construction program. I plan to set up a website for a business of mine. It will mostly contain information about the business and my services and I plan to use Freeway Express to build it. I have a colleague with a website that I like and I will probably copy some of the overall appearance and features of his website although mine will look different and contain different information.

People often ask here "how do I make a good robot?" or "how do I make a good motor driver?" or "how do I learn assembly language?". The same answers apply: 1) Find good examples of what you want to do, 2) Get a basic set of tools. Look in bookstores and libraries for basic textbooks, read them, and make a list of tools you might need. Search the internet for reviews of the tools in mainstream computing magazines. Read the reviews and decide what might work for you. Get a demo copy if possible and try it for whatever the trial period is and read the manual. Repeat for other tools if you are not sure of the one you tried first. Eventually, buy a copy of the one you'll use. 3) Try to duplicate the "good examples", then change them to be more like what you want for yourself. If that's not sufficient, build what you want from scratch using what you've learned reworking the examples.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-12-21 11:45
    Mike, did you check the link the 'user' posted?

Or Google him?

For one reason or another he also asked the exact same question on SAP Networks' Expert forum...
    He also posted the same question on MY forum, but I've already deleted ALL traces of him...

I suggest that Parallax takes it up with the ISP or upstream provider of that 'web design' company.

Edit: I've already PMed Parallax.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-21 13:07
    So I guess this may be robotic advertising embedded in a question format.· Hmmm.... nono.gif If you want something easy to get started, I suggest Yahoo and using thier Site Builder software.· It certain cuts the cost way down as the name is included.· There is a monthly fee though.· The big advantage is that you can stop at any time if you no longer want to pay the fee.· So low entry, easy exit, free name and free software.· Try my site www.TaiwanInSite.com for an example.

Just recently I saw that Wikipedia is considering a format that will offer FREE sites within their format.· I think that they are going to call it OpenSite.com··· If that appeals to you, contact them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 12/21/2006 1:11:42 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-21 14:12
    Gadgetman & Kramer,
    Well, internet spam is certainly getting more sophisticated and interfering more with legitimate usage.

I thought it was a good excuse to make a point about a kind of question I've seen a lot (legitimately).