Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
User Input and LCD display? — Parallax Forums

User Input and LCD display?

Happy DudeHappy Dude Posts: 9
edited 2006-12-23 15:07 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

I have never created a user interface with Micro-controller and will appreciate your help,I need to create a user interface where user will provide input for number of times· Solenoids triggers (I need to control·3 such solenoids) and I am thinking of following setup -

Serial LCD: For Display
Push_Button_UP: To increase counter on LCD
Push_Button_Down: To·decrease counter on LCD
Push_Button_1: To select Solenoid 1
Push_Button_2: To select Solenoid 2
Push_Button_3: To Select solenoid 3
Push_Button Go: For user to indicate that he is done with input

User will select the solenoid be pressing the appropriate Push_Button (Basic stamp code detects the user input by polling the pushbuttons every 10 MS and if it detects corresponding pin high for two cycles then the stamp code treates the button as pressed by user) and display the count for corresponding solenoid on LCD (along with Solenoid designation).

Count will be increased or decreased by the user by pressing the Push_Button_UP or Push_Button_Down, stamp will read the corresponding pins (again polling these pins are 10 MS) and if it recognise the button pressed then increase/decrease·the count and update the LCD.

I think there must be more elegant ways of doing this, I will appreciate any suggestion / recommendations on how to make this interface better / simpler.

Thanks,
Happy_Dude

·

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2006-12-21 18:08
    What you have seems pretty simple and straightforward actually. Are you building the button board yourself? If your goal is to reduce part count, you could have just a GO button and the up/down button, e.g.:

- press up/down -> cycle through solenoid choice 1-3
    - press GO to "select" that solenoid
    - press up/down -> cycle through how many triggers (1-10 or whatever your range is)
    - press GO to do it

This might have the advantage of letting you use other buttons (like your current solenoid 1-3) to set other parameters on the selected solenoid if the project needs change.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2006-12-22 18:55
    here is a code that is made for a computer that i made

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)
  • boeboyboeboy Posts: 301
    edited 2006-12-23 15:07
    Sorry I posted an incorect codeblush.gif·Here is the corect code

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lets see what this does... KA BOOM (note to self do not cross red and black)