Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Over-voltage? — Parallax Forums

Over-voltage?

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-12-31 14:44 in General Discussion
I just got several SX28 Proto boards and wanted to track down the power with a VOM.

I plugged one in without any crystal or devices connected to the board and got a reading of over 7 volts DC.· My input voltage is a wall wart that reads about 14.78 volts DC, though it is rated lower [noparse][[/noparse]12 or 9 volts, I have to crawl under the desk to actually see].

The LM2940-5.0 is rated at 26volts absolute Max in its PDF.· So I didn't think there was reason to worry.
I do see that board say 6-9VDC.· And the output side regulation capacitor seems small [noparse][[/noparse]should be 22.5uf or larger according to my PDF].

Is this a defective board or did I miss something?· As it stands, the SX28 is rated at 7volts max, so I fear damage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-18 10:28
    Disregard the above, the digital VOM had a low battery and the capacitors are 47uf. All is well.

I just wish the devide would shut down when power is low rather than issue trash ;-(

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • geekythinggeekything Posts: 53
    edited 2006-12-31 13:14
    Hi Kramer,

I had a very similar problem a couple of days ago!

I have a design that drives an OLED from an SX-28 and things weren't working. Threw my multimeter onto the circuit and noticed Vcc was showing nearly 4vdc instead of 3.3vdc....panicked as that's over-spec for the OLED and ripped apart a perfectly good 3.3vdc looking for the problem. [noparse];)[/noparse]

I knew the low battery indicator was lit on the multimeter, but never realized that it'd dramatically affect it's performance!

Hopefully others can avoid this issue.

-marc
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-12-31 14:44
    I've also seen "overvoltage" on the "downstream" side of a voltage regulator when there was no load on the regulator. Once there was even a minor load, all was well. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I've seen it.

I guess I'm putting this out there for comments back as much as for information on the above mentioned issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10

Post Edited (John R.) : 12/31/2006 2:49:37 PM GMT