Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Temperature Sensor — Parallax Forums

Temperature Sensor

DosEdgeDosEdge Posts: 33
edited 2006-12-19 14:51 in BASIC Stamp
Could someone tell me if they know of good temperature sensor that I can interface with a BS2 for a reasonable price?
The sensor should have the capability to measure temperature at multiple ranges (at different distances). Any detail information is very appreciated!

Thank You,

DosEdge

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-18 15:40
    DosEdge,
    ·
    ·· Please see the following link for a list of sensors and their ratings/ranges.· Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/componentshop/sensors.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • LSBLSB Posts: 175
    edited 2006-12-18 16:17
    www.phanderson.com has a bunch of tutorials on stamps, various DS-series temperature chips, 'RS' runs and other weather related measurements. Good stuff if multiple sensors and long distance is your goal. Sample code and kits available.
  • KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
    edited 2006-12-19 03:52
    There are a lot of "high-Tech" temperature sensors available, some at very reasonable prices. But if your application is in a reasonable temperature range, you might want to look at using a simple transistor. Its junction is temperature dependent. For a few pennies you can obtain reasonable accuracy, especially when the transistor is hooked up to a microprocessor.
    You set up your hardware, place a calibrated thermometer or one that has the accuracy you want with your transistor, and determine the transistor voltage as a function of the temperature around it, over the temperature range of interest. You then store this relationship of voltage-versus- temperature in a look-up table in your STAMP. Then when you read a voltage on the transistor, you look up the corresponding temperature from the table.
    The transistor should be placed in some kind of water-proof container if you are measuring the temperature of liquids.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-12-19 14:51
    From re-reading DosEdge's original post, it sounds like he is looking for a non-contact solution (or "different distances" is just a english-is-not-my-first-language word choice). If that is the case, I'm not familiar with any hobbiest solutions...unless you hack a cheap I/R unit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...

Post Edited (Tom Walker) : 12/19/2006 2:55:18 PM GMT