Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB Port on the PDB — Parallax Forums

USB Port on the PDB

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-12-19 15:05 in BASIC Stamp
All--

I wonder if I have the wrong idea concerning the mini-USB port on the PDB? When I use my USB2SER adapter on the DB-9 connector, I can program the Stamp fine. However, when I connect directly to the mini-USB, I always get a Stamp not found error message. Could it be the cable, perhaps? (The cable is something that I have had laying around that works with everything else.)

Merry Christmas!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-18 15:22
    Bill,
    ·
    ·· If you’re referring to the USB to 232 (USB2SER won’t connect to a DB9 directly) then it uses the same cable as the USB connector on the PDB.· Are you swapping the cable from one to the other?· If so it should work.· Make sure the USB to 232 is disconnected from the DB9 before trying to do anything with the USB (you can only have one connection at a time).· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-12-18 17:06
    Chris--

I am sure that I disconnected the serial DB-9 connector from the serial port on the PDB. (Ha! Probably didn't!) So, when I get home I will give it another shot. (I was interrupted while typing this . . . now, as I remember last night, I CANNOT remember taking the serial·DB-9 connector·out of the serial port on the PDB.)

Oh, yeah, what time does tech support wake up around there? I believe I blew up my MMB. (It was very hard to do, but I somehow managed.)

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-12-18 17:35
    Bill,
    ·
    ·· Parallax Technical Support is available by phone M-F 7A-5P Pacific Time.· E-Mail support is available at support@parallax.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-12-18 19:10
    Chris--

I e-mailed them yesterday. (Gee. Why weren't they at work on Sunday?) I am sure they will get to me when they get to me and that they are getting to me as fast as they can work through the weekend requests.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-12-18 20:07
    Bill,
    ·
    ·· Typically I would have gotten your e-mail on a weekend…I will check for it and get back to you.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-12-19 00:11
    Chris--

(Skip down to "UNDAUNTED" and save yourself a lot of time. Read what is above at your leisure.)

Gee. I was right the first time. I had plugged the mini-USB into the USB connector on the PDB without the serial adapter plugged into the DB-9. This time, I noticed that (with the mini-USB plugged into the PDB) that it had installed itself as COM7. Well, I thought, that is no big deal it should work, anyway. I took a look at Device Manager and it told me this . . .

General

Manufacturer: FTDI
    Device Status
    This device is working properly.
    If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

Port Settings
    9600, 8, None, 1, None

Driver
    Driver Provider: FTDI
    Driver Date: 5/19/2006
    Driver Version: 2.0.0.0

Details
    FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+5&2B9EF934&0&1\0000

Anyway, since this did not work in your IDE, I did a Run/Identify/Edit Port List and changed it to COM6, which the BOE likes just fine. After that change, when I do a Run, the IDE tells me "Invalid Port", which it is since COM6 is no longer there. As soon as I plug the BOE back in, it installs itself as COM6 and runs fine.

Switching USB cables to something that came with my Sony Mavica digital camera produces the same results with the PDB. But, the Sony cable and my BOE work fine together.

UNDAUNTED (I do not daunt easily; my strength is as of ten because my heart is pure . . . maybe only as of 7 or 8), I pulled out my spare, backup, Plan B, second, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT BOARD and stuck the BS2p40 from the original in it. Then, I plugged the Sony USB cable in . . . and ran the "Ready for StampWorks 2.0!" program. The IDE found the Stamp, downloaded the program and what was supposed to happen, did: I saw "Ready for StampWorks 2.0!" on the Debug screen.

Leaving no stone unturned (when I was a kid that was the job my Dad gave me), I used my original cable on the secondary PDB and it worked fine, also.

I am not ready to say something is wrong with my first PDB, but I am ready to say something is different.

Do you know what it is? (Remember that the first one, the "bad" one, runs perfectly via USB2SER.)

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-12-19 15:05
    Bill,
    ·
    ·· You were very thorough…Perhaps there is something wrong with the first PDB.· Since I have an e-mail from you I will follow-up on that and we can go from there.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support