Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Right angle drives — Parallax Forums

Right angle drives

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-12-18 17:25 in BASIC Stamp
All--

I really like the Banebot line of DC gear motors. For my application, I need a right angle drive, though. Do you have any hints of where I might look for such small, right angle drives?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2006-12-17 04:05
    Merry Christmas, Bill. I found some right angle microgearmotors here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/eBEAMuk_Motors_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Hope this helps.
  • denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2006-12-17 12:28
    Hello...there is a place called Surplus Center that sells alot of different types of electric motors and gear motors of different voltages.· I have bought several right angle gear motors from them over the years for robotic applications and leveling tables.

Do a Google search for Surplus Center to get the web site address.

Deno
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-12-17 14:00
    Pololu.com has a nice selection of right angle motors... http://www.pololu.com/products/gearbox.html
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-12-17 21:02
    Steve and deno and electromanj--

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the time you spent looking for these sources. I had seen all but Surplus City (deno, I am bookmarking that one!).

The reason I am looking for a right angle drive is because I have pretty much settled on a line of motors (Banebot; assuming I can find the right angle drive that I can make work).

I've spent a lot of time looking and finally discovered that the answer MAY·be right under my nose! I am going out to get one of those new Dremel right angle attachments. I might be able to build an adapter that will allow it to work with my motors.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-12-18 14:13
    Agfa: Pololu is a cool business! I am hooked on their Dual Serial Motor Controller... For a BoeBot sized robot, it is the absolutely best solution out there... easy to use, small, great price! I had a few issues a while back as a "beta" customer for their Serial Servo Controller.... their support was on par with Parallax!
    edited 2006-12-18 15:06
    Steve--

You were really right about Pololu! (I refer to their motor controllers.) I especially like the specs on the Pololu 3-Amp Motor Controller with Feedback. The spec sheet at that link is well worth reading.

Do you--or anyone else--have actual experience with this particular device, or any of Pololu's motor controllers? I am particularly interested in knowing if I can use a simple Hall-effect device as the tachometer input.

Merry Christmas!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
    edited 2006-12-18 17:21
    Wish I did... it looks like a great piece! I have only had experience with the DSMC and the Serial Servo Controller... sorry..
    edited 2006-12-18 17:25
    Steve--

Well, I have the 3 amp machine on the way. I'll give you a report!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.