Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Suggestion for next version of IDE for the Propeller — Parallax Forums

Suggestion for next version of IDE for the Propeller

WurlitzerWurlitzer Posts: 237
edited 2006-12-16 13:50 in Propeller 1
Not to sound ungrateful, as the current IDE has a plethora of great and neat features (congratulation to the developers), but one feature in VB has saved me many hours looking for a mistyped variable/constant/sub.. name.
·
I know the compiler does not care about upper/lower case but in VB when I declare a variable for the first time I always make sure there is one or more upper case letters in the name. Then when I use that name in the code, I type it in all lower case letters. When you hit return at the end of the line of code, the IDE immediately changes any characters to upper case if they were·upper case·in the declaration section.
·
If an error is made in typing the variable/constant/sub what ever, will remain in all lower case and you know you made a mistake immediately.
·
Example:
MyVariableName as byte

If typed later in code as: myvariablename := 255
it would change to MyVariableName := 255 as soon as you moved off that line of code.

Any misspelling would leave all the letters in lower case. mivariablename := 255

If this feature could be made available in the next generation I am sure many propeller heads would like it assuming for the moment that Microsoft does not have some sort of protection on that concept.
·
Just my opinion.

Comments

• acantostegaacantostega Posts: 105
    edited 2006-12-16 04:43
    Heh heh, I wouldn't be surprised it's patented. What I do is press F9 regularly to make sure my code is compiling. If I have mistyped a variable somewhere, the compiler would alert me saying "Expected a variable name" or something to that effect (since you have to declare variables before using them).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-12-16 06:10
    I'm the cra@@@@ typer in the world,

·I think your missing the big picture here ,You are working with the nicest chip that you have ever seen , i'm talking sand here ,not you Chip ,be happy & enjoy !!!

p.s well Chip your ok too !!

Post Edited (truckwiz) : 12/16/2006 1:48:25 PM GMT
  • WurlitzerWurlitzer Posts: 237
    edited 2006-12-16 13:45
    No question this device is superior in its area of the market place. If you re-read my post you will see I was not taking a shot at the IDE just offering a suggestion based on 100's of industrial application I had written in VB and my occasional fat fingers screwing up a variable name or two. Each occurance was caught in a short time frame but when added up in a large project could be a significant amout of time.

In my short time using this IDE I have found things I would like to see in VB but the chances of Microsoft incorporating them may exceed the Propellers ability to compute small floating point numbers. turn.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-12-16 13:50
    Hi,
    yah, I was just reading that ,I somtimes have a bad habit of speed reading & not catching the whole content . Glad you didn't take it the wrong way.

Brian