Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Packages: Dip, QFP, QFN — Parallax Forums

Packages: Dip, QFP, QFN

samsn4samsn4 Posts: 49
edited 2006-12-17 23:41 in Propeller 1
What is the difference between the packages, other surface mount or not?

Does any one have a demo they want to donate to good cause? lol.gif me. I just finished this semester at school and one of my classes we studied the propeller, but i had i return the demo board back to the college, so my robot project is going nowhere fast. Just thought I'd ask.

OK, last question, Has anyone tried to build a demo board? or is just worth the cash to buy it?

Thanks guys

Post Edited (samsn4) : 12/15/2006 5:43:17 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-15 18:30
    1) Look at the pictures of the packages on the Propeller page on the Parallax website. The DIP package is the largest physically and has pin spacing suitable for conventional socketing and use with breadboards (0.1" spacing). Because of the size of the package and the "lead frame" (the physical metal for the leads), this package can dissipate a lot more heat than the smaller packages (usually not much of an advantage ... the Propeller normally doesn't get very hot). The QFP package has real leads although they're tiny. They can still be soldered (very very carefully) by hand. The QFN package is the smallest and has its connections underneath the package. It can only be soldered using reflow, in an oven usually.

2) If you can wait for a couple of weeks, the Propeller Protoboard will be a real bargain. There's a thread here discussing it (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=607991).

3) A number of people have built their own demo boards (and have posted pictures and descriptions). You'll have to decide whether it's worth building it (to gain experience in that) or just buying it (it's well made and Parallax passes on much of the benefit of buying in large quantities).
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-12-15 19:11
    I have built my own board for cash reasons and because I like building things.· forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=157392

But when you compare what I ended up paying, with the new ProtoBoard, I wouldn't fool with making my own unless you just wanted to for the experience.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-12-15 19:12
    Don't forget the propstick, which is pretty cheap and works great. Or the propstick USB version.

I suspect you may end up getting a demo board eventually (or the Hydra!).
  • samsn4samsn4 Posts: 49
    edited 2006-12-17 23:41
    thanks guys