Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
One for Chip? Speech synthesis — Parallax Forums

One for Chip? Speech synthesis

simonlsimonl Posts: 866
edited 2006-12-16 00:22 in Propeller 1
Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with thyroid cancer recently -- thankfully we're being told it's not life threatening -- and this got me thinking all sorts of horrible thoughts; one of them being that the operation goes wrong and leaves her without a voice. Then I thought, hey, with the PChip's excellent sound capabilities, would it be possible to create a device that translates throat vibrations and mouth muscle signals into life-like voice?

Well, I don't know if it's possible, but if anyone wants to try, please let me know -- I only wish I were clever enough.

Take care everyone, and have a happy festive season.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Cheers,

Simon
www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-12-15 15:38
    Ouch!

I'll keep my fingers crossed(whenever possible.) and wish her the best of luck with the operation.

Your idea...
    The first problem is accurately detecting muscle-positions(I have no idea exactly how important the tongue's exact position is, but I feaqr it's pretty d@rn important). then there's the tightening/slackening of the vocal chords, breathing-pattens, jaw-position and mouth shape.

Reading out the mouth shape and the jaw position should be possible with a camera, at least(but that leaves the system desk-bound. You probably want it to be portable and as discrete as possible, but you must learn to walk before you can run)

It may be possible to read the tiny electical impulses from the nerves to the vocal chords.
    (Anyone know of some decent sensors, like those used when measuring brain-activity?)
    Couple that with breathing-pattern, (possibly using a flexi-force sensor to measure chest-expansion?) and you may be able to pick up some phonemes, I think.
    Possibly stick an ultrasonic sensor in a pendant and point it upwards to read jaw position?
    (you'll need to tell her to look straight ahead when speaking, though)
    That is, if the sensor is fast enough to read it correctly.

you'll also need a mute button...
    (A belch may be fun sometimes, but... )

And no, I'm not clever enough to get it to work.
    (I'm good at tossing together ideas, though smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-12-15 15:43
    Simonl,

I am not the one either, but I can tell you the device you speak of is allready invented. I saw a disabled veteran one time that used such a device to communicate with. By all means don't give up hope, because it's out there somewhere.
    edited 2006-12-15 16:04
    He wasn't using an 'electronic larynx', by any chance?

It's a device they hold up to the throat which sends vibrations through their throat, to modulate the airflow.
    gives them a rather strange, buzzing voice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2006-12-15 17:18
    Simon,

I hope the best for you and your wife.

The problem is the lack of vibration. The surgery would render the vocal cords inoperative....therefore there would be no vibration. That is the problem. Vocal cords do some remarkable things. They are adjustable guitar strings for lack of better definition....They adjust very fast. What would be cool is an electric larynx that could automatically adjust according to speech patterns.

The mouth, throat, tongue, and lips do most of the other vocal manipulation. The nasal passage does some things....but is more important in singing.

There has been quite a bit of research in this area....at least I believe there has.....I just don't know how you would implement such a thing....unless you could read the nerve impulses.

Without vocal cord variation......mono tone is the result. The voice·lacks meaning/intent without variation in pitch.

Sorry.......I didn't want to burst the bubble.....I'm sure it can be done....just not sure how.

James L
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-12-15 19:03
    Gadgetman,

It was a perminant thing, but you may still be right, as it was a buzzing type synthesis I heard. Thanks for the correction.
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-12-15 20:07
    James Long said...
    There has been quite a bit of research in this area....at least I believe there has.....I just don't know how you would implement such a thing....unless you could read the nerve impulses.

Without vocal cord variation......mono tone is the result. The voice lacks meaning/intent without variation in pitch.
    If the person is holding a device up to their throat, there could be a pressure sensitive thumb pad that increases and decreases pitch. It would take some practice, but I'm sure it could be learned.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2006-12-15 21:03
    if pitch control is all that's required I think there are fairly good ways to sense muscle tension. This could be relatively descrete and would likely become automatic after several years. (the brain's great that way [noparse]:D[/noparse] )

anyway, don't knock your own abilities. a lot of usefull things like this are never made because they'd take a LOT of time to get working and nobody has a really pressing reason to build it. Take it slow, do your homework, screw up a lot, and amazing things can happen.

my 2 cents
    Marty
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2006-12-15 23:42
    A company called Speech Plus created the synthesiser for Steven Hawking.· As I recall, it was based on a desktop computer.· But that was a while back.· As we all know, things change.

Good luck to you and your wife and family.

Chris I.
    edited 2006-12-16 00:22
    The kit that Hawking uses is very specialized and has to take into consideration his almost complete lack of muscle-control.
    A person who 'just' lacks the vocal chords would do just fine with a normal 'text-to-speech' translator, and Chip has already done the groundwork for that by giving us phoneme-based sound.
    (It just lacks the 'text-to-phoneme' part, and that can be done with a dictionary if needed.)

A pressure-sensitive button on the electronic vooder?
    It would take a delicate touch and years of practice to get it to improve the sound instead of distort it, compared with the monotone models used now. (A person must not only learn to 'send' the 'control signals' to his fingers, but also to send them earlier than the signals that should havee gone to the larynx because the signal path is so much longer, and timing is rather critical)
    But if you could manage to read out the nerve impulses, and use that to control the box, that would be a great help.
    Might even be a marketable product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔