Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Just a suggestion for Parallax — Parallax Forums

Just a suggestion for Parallax

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2006-12-15 10:49 in BASIC Stamp
To my knowledge this service is currently not offered (if it is im so sorry )

I am just sitting here in my room after returning from Iraq with no basic stamp to program. I dont need any circuitry just the basic stamp and the debug terminal to work on my programming after not using it for a year. I Thought "gee wouldn't it be nice if parallax had a way for me to use a basic stamp via the internet that I could send my program to and have the debug terminal display on my screen!" all I really want to do is some basic calculating for my stocks, im tired of clicking a thousand buttons on the windows calculator when I could just make a program and fill in the blanks as the share price changes. If such a thing isn't available wouldn't it be possible? and preferably for free!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Actually I think Im going to add the whiskers to my tank and let it roam, just need to figure out where.

Comments

• Roger PiersonRoger Pierson Posts: 62
    edited 2006-12-14 20:46
    An interesting idea, but perhaps not financially feasable.

Such a service would quickly become swamped with requests and there would be no practical way of putting enough stamps online to handle the demand. A software emulator would be a good answer, but if they had one of those around they would put it into a developers IDE.

In anycase, your application is much better served by writing a few macros in MS Excel. If you just want to program somthing, take a look at the VB for Applications (VBA) that is a part of the macro programming language in every MS Office product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Roger Pierson
    Senior Electronics Technicain
    DTI Assoicates
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2006-12-14 20:56
    parallax has some smart cookies around. Im sure with time they would be able to make a emulator as you mentioned. we can only wait and see.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Actually I think Im going to add the whiskers to my tank and let it roam, just need to figure out where.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-12-14 20:59
    You might want to look into writing an application in one of the freely available scripting languages, such as Perl, Python, Ch, etc.
    edited 2006-12-14 21:02
    why would I do this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-12-14 21:36
    I guess I'm not too clear on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you looking for a way to remotely display the debug terminal, or to do financial calculations?

For a remote debug terminal, try XP's Remote Desktop, or a similar technology. For financial calculations, try the scripting languages.
    edited 2006-12-14 21:40
    honestly I just thought It would be neat to be able to have the ability to write and execute a pbasic program anywhere you have a internet connection. This could come in handy and possible help bring new customers to the hobby by trying some programming of their own to see how easy it can be. Or in my case I wouldn't have to wait to go home to be able to write some basic programs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-12-14 21:59
    This is probably the most portable Stamp:

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=BS1USB

A BS2 version would be even better.
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-12-14 22:46
    Jayguy5000 said...
    To my knowledge this service is currently not offered (if it is im so sorry )

A basic stamp emulator is available. It was discussed in this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=620515

It was created by Al Williams and is available on his web site here:

http://wd5gnr.com/bs1emu.htm

Its for BS1, but it does what you describe.. w/o requiring even an internet connection. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 12/15/2006 12:37:11 AM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-14 22:52
    There is also a BASIC Stamp 2 emulator at the following link…Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/proteus.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-12-15 01:16
    I looks like its not a free download. Is that something I buy? the page wasn't very clear on this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-12-15 01:53
    I think that you'll find that it's cheaper and easier... to wait till you get home.
    edited 2006-12-15 10:49
    yes it would. But it would still be neat to have one day [noparse]:D[/noparse] thanks everyone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔