Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ben Franklin's Birthday -- January 17th — Parallax Forums

Ben Franklin's Birthday -- January 17th

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-12-18 01:34 in General Discussion
I admit to too·many Nicholas Cage·reruns·and too many Starbuck's lattes.

But, it seems a little known fact that Benj. Franklin actually identified electrical polarity and got the ball rolling that has evolved into all this electronics.· Seems like something to be recognized. [noparse][[/noparse]Try to make a transistor without P and N]

In sum, without Benj. Franklin not only·might America possilbly have never existed.· But neither·might much of modern techonolgy.· It seems public recognition his work in physics gave the U.S.A. much of its credibility with France that led to the American Revolution.

So, I thought that Parallax might like to do something special to commemorate his birthday.· Suggestion?

P.S. I think it may be the 301st anniversary of his birth.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2006-12-14 13:18
    This potted history of the guy makes interesting reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

John Bond

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-12-14 15:21
    It's also interesting to note that Ben never patented any of his inventions. He claimed that he benefitted from other's inventions, so he wanted everyone to benefit from his inventions. I think that says alot about the man.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-16 06:45
    His autobiography is available for free via www.gutenburg.com or Wikipedia.
    Part three discusses his inventions.

The man was quite remarkable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2006-12-18 01:34
    Guy's like Ben should be as revered·as all these sports and·entertainment stars that our kids are looking up to today!
    If we show our kids how spectacular these guys achievments are we are truley giving them a gift.