Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
controlling small motors — Parallax Forums

controlling small motors

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2006-12-14 17:13 in BASIC Stamp
I also need to know how to controll just about any kind of small motor using the bs2. analog controll would be nice so I could decide what rpm to run at, and change the rpm's while in use. These motors will be coming out of a jameco catalog. Nothing big but I havn't really picked one out yet either. Im not worried about providing power to it as much as I am just know what kinds of signals to send out of the bs2. My dad can help with alot of the circuitry I just want to tackle this project knowing the bs2 part of things.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Actually I think Im going to add the whiskers to my tank and let it roam, just need to figure out where.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-12-14 07:00
    Jay -

As I remember Jameco has both DC stepper motors, and DC permanent magnet (DC PM) motors in their catalog. Either can be easily controlled with a PBASIC Stamp, but the methods used are different. In both cases, there is generally a driver chip between the BS-2 and the motor in question. The driver chips will also be different depending on whether it's a stepper, or DC PM motor.

Once you make that decision, we can show you where to go from there.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2006-12-14 14:26
    Lets go with the stepper motors,once I get the basic theory down I can go from there. I just will need a list of parts and an example of code then I'll be set.
    thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Actually I think Im going to add the whiskers to my tank and let it roam, just need to figure out where.
  • brianf98brianf98 Posts: 2
    edited 2006-12-14 17:13
    You might want to pick up the book 'Building Robot Drive Trains" for some good practical explanations of stepper, servo and DC motors and how to control them. Pololu Electronics has some reasonably priced motor controlers which should work with the Stamp...

http://www.pololu.com/products/elec.html#motocon