Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Labeling Items — Parallax Forums

Labeling Items

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2006-12-14 04:04 in BASIC Stamp
I need to be able to use the stamp to put labels on real objects, such as a rock. Name the rock #01 then place the rock on a shelf. Lets say we use a claw for this operation. The claw will also have some sort of electronics on it to be able to read the label and retrieve the specific item after being recalled. what can I use to do this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Think I could get away with adding a Basic Stamp to my tank?

Comments

• Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-12-14 03:43
    Jayguy5000 said...
    I need to be able to use the stamp to put labels on real objects, such as a rock. Name the rock #01 then place the rock on a shelf. Lets say we use a claw for this operation. The claw will also have some sort of electronics on it to be able to read the label and retrieve the specific item after being recalled. what can I use to do this?
    Interesting problem. A few questions:

First- the type of label- should it be human readable, or just machine readable? If machine only you, could use bar codes or simply stick an RFID onto each object and then read them by using the arm to place a reader near the object.. if human readable is required, it might be tough to get an OCR program that would be able to recognise a "#1" for example as this will depend on the color and contrast of the printing on the object.

Second- do you want to print directly on the surface of the item (i.e. squirt ink onto the rock itself?) if not, it might be simpler to make small containers that are prelabeled and then move them about. Pick and place the object into a known container...?

Third- Does it need to be numbers? and if so how many numbers..? 1-10? 1-1000? 1-bazillion? If its a fairly low number, you might be able to simply squire some colored paint onto the object and the use the Parallax color sensor to detect the item. If the colors are clear i.e. RED/WHITE/BLUE a human should be able to "read" the "label".

Fourth- How big/heavy are the objects you plan to move or label? Marble Size? Baseball sized? Tank Sized? smile.gif This will make a difference as to the mechanism used to pick/place the objects.

Fifth- is it necessary to "read" the label since the device will have placed it in its position..? it might be reasonable (as long as nothing moves the items other than the robot arm) to assume the object is where you left it.. so if I placed Rock #17 on shelf #4 slot #7, then I would send the arm to that same spot to "fetch" it. It may not be necessary to "read" the label at all..?

So.. those are my $0.02... fwiw, Lynxmotion has a nice video showing some "pick and place" activities of one of their arms...

Hope this helps get some perspective on the project... More info means we can provide more help.. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2006-12-14 04:04
    Does not have to be human readable. Do not have to print directly on the objects. Does not need to be numbers, will be a fairly small number, less than 1000. Objects are very light. a standard parallax servo could easily move one. and It isn't really necessary to read the label as you mentioned becuase It will know where it put object #01. But The system may be moving more than one object So I would have to have a way of simply sending the object home after use and let the BS2 handle the rest. So I may be able to do it without reading labels. Time for some trial and error I suppose.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think I could get away with adding a Basic Stamp to my tank?