Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Optascope.com? nope just go to parallax.com! — Parallax Forums

Optascope.com? nope just go to parallax.com!

Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
edited 2006-12-14 14:14 in BASIC Stamp
I have the nifty Parallax USB Oscilloscope (aka Optascope). While using it today, I attempted to try the "online support" from the HELP menu (or from within the help file itself) and it points my browser to "www.optascope.com" which is not a support site for Optascope, but rather a "redirector" portal (i.e. all it does it generate ad $$ for it's owner).

Looks like the legitimate owners of Optascope.com lost the site and it was snapped up by some jerks. mad.gif

So, does anyone know the current, correct website for optascope support and/or software updates (besides our beloved parallax.com that is!) smilewinkgrin.gif ?

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 12/13/2006 11:48:32 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-13 23:38
    Vern,
    ·
    ·· The OptaScope and the Parallax USB Scope are one in the same now and all support can be found at the following link.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/scope.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-12-13 23:44
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    The OptaScope and the Parallax USB Scope are one in the same now
    Good to know Thanks!

Vern

PS: Of course, I suggest that the software and the docs be updated to address the "bad" link. Consider for a moment the repercussions if the new owner of optascope.com decides to redirect all traffic to a hardcore "pr0n" site and a room full of students click the "online support" link! freaked.gif Yow!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-13 23:48
    Vern,

·· Thanks for the feedback.· There will be updated software and documentation available soon.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-12-14 14:14
    Vern--

Consider for a moment the repercussions if the new owner of optascope.com decides to redirect all traffic to a hardcore "pr0n" site and a room full of students click the "online support" link!

I am the CIO at a college. This actually happened to us some years ago! We had reserved .edu and I simply never thought of anything else. Well, after a while, someone complained that our site was full of VERY objectionable material. Of course, I checked it out from home and everything was fine and I went back to sleep.

The next day my webmaster told me that someone had bought the .com version and filled it full of stuff people might not want to see. Of course, the owner of the .com site was willing to sell it to us! We sued instead. It took about a week to get the site down with an injunction and then about two months to gain ownership of the site. (All out of court . . . lawyers are good for something, I guess.)

Your point is VERY valid!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.