Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sumo Bot and Ping — Parallax Forums

Sumo Bot and Ping

kmankman Posts: 4
edited 2006-12-14 19:29 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I've seen a post regarding this same problem but I'm not sure what the solution was. When I connect the ping to my sumo-bot and switch the power to 1 everything works fine. Its after switching to power option 2 that everything goes wrong. The readings drop to the point that it seems as if the ping sensor can only detect objects with 30 cm and then eventually it drops to 0 where it detects nothing. I've tried connecting the sensor's input to different pin numbers. The resuls are always the same. Why does this happen and what is the solution?

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-12-13 14:48
    Well, while the 'ping' sensor does use a 3-pin 'servo' connector, it MUST be connected to +5 volts. I believe the '1' position on the switch routes Vdd to all the servo connections -- so the Ping works. I'm not sure what the '2' position does.

The easiest solution is to put in a 3-pin 'header' into your prototyping area, route Vdd, Vss, and your signal pin to it, and plug your 'ping' into that. This will reduce that "is it the ping connector, or is it a servo connector?" confusion, too.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-13 16:14
    Kman,
    ·
    ·· Position one turns on the BASIC Stamp power.· Position two turns on power to the servos as well, which is useful for programming the robot and not have it take off on you.· Now, the servo headers are typically at VIN, which is usually around 6V on a Sumo-Bot.· The PING))) cannot handle over 5V.· So it sounds like you’re sending too much voltage to it if you have it connected to the servo headers.· The PING))) should be connected to VDD which may require you to connect it via the breadboard.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • kmankman Posts: 4
    edited 2006-12-13 17:35
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have the ping connected to the breadboard. I use Vin for power, Vss for GND and and have tried connecting its IO pn to the various IO pins found alongside the breadboard i.e. pin 15,0,6 etc. I still get the same problem.
    edited 2006-12-13 17:37
    I'm sorry I meant I connect the PING to Vdd for power not Vin. I also have the PING mounting bracket and motor and connect its motor to Vin.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-12-13 22:04
    Aha. Ok, then it sounds like when you actually activate the servo's, that they are drawing down your battery.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-13 22:32
    I would recommend trying fresh batteries…It seems like once you power the servos things stop working.·· Perhaps you’re drawing too much power?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-12-14 19:29
    Thank you. New batteries helped solve my problem. I didn't think this was the problem because the batteries were fairly new, although they were of the cheap variety.