Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Oscilliscope — Parallax Forums

Parallax Oscilliscope

CruxCrux Posts: 74
edited 2006-12-15 17:15 in BASIC Stamp
I got a problem on letting the software detect my device. When I plugged it, windows detected it well but when I check the software's status it gives me a red lit on the software's indicator. I think the problem might be on what COM port number to choose. There are 20+ plus I think when I checked on the list.

Help me out with this..

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-13 15:42
    Crux,
    ·
    ·· You can find the COM Port associated with the scope by looking in your Device Manager.· In Windows XP go to the Control Panel and open the System icon (you may need to be in classic view to do this).· Then go to the Hardware Tab and click Device Manager.· There should be a Ports category.· Open it by clicking on the plus symbol next to it.· With your Scope plugged in you should see an entry labeled, USB Serial Port (COMx) where x is the COM Port you want.· If you have more than one listing (for example if you have more of our USB products) then simply disconnect the scope, then plug it back in and note which port disappears and comes back.· That’s what you will set in the software.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-12-13 18:12
    The same happen to me.
    I have to connect and disconnect the usb port several times until the the green comes on.
    ·
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-12-13 23:40
    Crux said...
    I got a problem on letting the software detect my device
    I have been using my scope most of this morning. It works with each machine I have used it with. All the machines I have used it with have been WIndows XP SP2. The one I am using today is a Dell Latitude laptop. I have it plugged into a USBH2.0 hub and through that to a PCARD USB2.0 adapter in the laptop's PCMCIA slot. The Scope has worked fine for me all day. It shows as being present on com port 4. Perhaps if you could tell us a bit more about your environment? Maybe about the circumstances? for example:

Has it ever worked on this system?

If so, what change corresponds with the problem?

If not, have you tried it on another system?

What OS and SP level are you using?

Did you load the appropriate drivers (the ones that came with the scope)?

Answers to these questions will help us figure out where to go next with this type issue... smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• CruxCrux Posts: 74
    edited 2006-12-14 03:56
    I fixed the problem already. The first advice was helpful. I installed a FTDI driver then plugged it again. A ballon in the taskbar will appear displaying the COM port.
  • CruxCrux Posts: 74
    edited 2006-12-15 02:03
    Why is it that when I try to dial higher ms measurements,the software seems to be delayed around almost·2 seconds.. Is the problem within my computer or it is really that way..

my computer's specification:

P4 2.26 fsb 533

256 mb RAM

WinXP SP2

40 GB hardrive space

usb 2.0 ports
  • SteveDSteveD Posts: 64
    edited 2006-12-15 04:18
    I too am having the exact same problems being described here and am very interested in any advice toward correcting these issues.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2006-12-15 17:15
    Steve are you talking about the delay problem or the comm problem.

The delay problem is easy. If you start storing slow times mSec or even Sec., the scope has to capture the data. For example, if you put it on 500 mSec, each division is a half a second. I can't remember how many divisions there are (I think about 15 on each side), so you have to wait 15 seconds while the scope captures the data. It's faster (less delay) at normal rates. If you put it on one Second per division, then standy-by. You told it to capture 30 seconds of data. Sorry, you'll have to wait while it does the job. In 30 seconds, you have your answer.

HTH, Chris