Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
It's simple things that get you. — Parallax Forums

It's simple things that get you.

electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
edited 2006-12-14 02:58 in BASIC Stamp
After recieving much good advice from this forum I'm finally able to contribute back. I have made a bs2 oem style board. The stamp part is driving a relay. After making the pcb and soldering all components onto the board I powered it up and to my surprise the thing actually worked...well sort of. I downloaded a simple high pause low pause repeated three times. It went through the first cycle and then stopped. After a closer examination I discovered that I had forgotten one simple thing. The diode across the coil of the relay. After soldering one on I powered up and it's working perfectly!yeah.gif I hope this helps someone.

Comments

• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-12-13 00:24
    electromanj--

Well, you get my vote! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Although I knew you had to have a diode across the coil leads and even understand why because of this forum, I do not know what capacity device you need.

Good work!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • azmax100azmax100 Posts: 173
    edited 2006-12-13 02:15
    electromanj

Can you tell me what diode are u using. I also have done my own board and have few relays on it.
    The board works fine but there's a little problem that cause my servo to move when I input High to the rlay.
    I did'nt use any diode across the relay coil. Mightbe this is the solution.

Thanks for sharing.

·
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-12-13 14:25
    azmax100,
    Not only might that be a problem, you run the risk of killing your driver transistor (please tell me that you are using a transistor to switch the relay and are not trying to drive it from the Stamp pin). When a relay "turns off", the energy that was stored in the magnet coil leaves it as the magnetic field collapses. Without a diode, this "back-EMF" has no choice but to try to force its way through your driver...either the transistor or the...gulp...Stamp...doing damage as it does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2006-12-14 02:19
    Yes you sure should use a transistor to drive the relay. Evan if it is a small enough load that the stamp can handle it, transistors are cheaper than a stamp! The diodes I am using are a in4148/in914 radioshack#276-1620 $2.59/50 pack
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2006-12-14 02:58
    P.S don't forget to get the polarity of the diode right! Black band to the positive side of the relay coil circuit.