Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone ever use the Dynon ELAB-080 ? — Parallax Forums

Anyone ever use the Dynon ELAB-080 ?

BeanBean Posts: 8,129
edited 2006-12-13 15:04 in General Discussion
I was looking at this instrument, and wondered if anyone has every used it.
Did you like it ?

http://www.dynoninstruments.com/

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
·

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-12-12 16:51
    I have one, and have used it some.

I am not an experienced o'scope user, but was able to see the wave forms I was looking at. (Servo pulses and some serial communication. I've also played with some sound waves for fun.) The "auto everyhting" didn't seem to work all that well, but otherwise the system seemed to work fine.

I've only used the o'scope and played a very little with the logic analyzer. I have not used the waveform generator at all.

One of the other users here had reported problems with long range stability of the software (locking and crashing), but I haven't seen any problems.

While I didn't really develop any applications, I was also able to use the DLL to connect to the scope and see the data. I'd like to build a "DVM" application for use with the scope, but that would only happen in my free time smile.gif

On the down side, the USB and Power connections are on the back, and there is no power switch, so you either need to pull the rather large wall wart or get at the back of the unit to power it down.

I don't know that I have enough experience with either o'scopes or this product to offer a full "recommendation", but do feel comfortable enough to share my experiences.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2006-12-13 15:04
    Bean,

I can't help you much. I'm looking for a scope and I'm not too impressed with the cheaper ones. (I haven't used any of them, so that show you my bias is unfounded.) The ELAB unit is nice if you need the full test bench, but lately I'm leaning toward going to the LA only route. http://www.pctestinstruments.com/

My thoughts are this: I'm now getting into faster stuff (read SX/Prop) and I'm afraid to buy a scope that fails at 50MHz. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I would love to have a scope that could see the higher freqs., but I can't rememeber the last time I needed it. Thus, I'm being pulled over to the fast LA only route and wait for scopes to catch up (or buy used). Then again, I never needed it, so why not just get one and use it. Well, you see the problem: Do..Loop...Do..Loop..Do..Loop

Until I can make up my mind, I'm on hold.

Note: Anyone who know me can tell you that: My logic is always valid, but ....incorrect.

//babble off//

HTH, Chris