Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
wind sensor — Parallax Forums

wind sensor

Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
edited 2006-12-12 22:10 in BASIC Stamp
I am interested in measuring small amounts of air flow, such as the amount of air that flows in and out of your nose during normal breathing. What could I use to detect this small air flow?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-12 04:12
    JayGuy,
    ·
    ·· Do you need to detect the amount of airflow or just that there was airflow?· If the latter, consider the Piezo Vibra Tab Sensor we have available.· It is capable of detecting air flow, although you may need an Op-Amp to register this on a BASIC Stamp input.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • LSBLSB Posts: 175
    edited 2006-12-12 05:04
    J-
    Are you thinking of wearing it? Running a hose... mask? orientation of "breather"? I can think of a dozen viable schemes--none that work for every situation.
  • Jayguy5000Jayguy5000 Posts: 139
    edited 2006-12-12 07:21
    OK the entire plan is that I want to be able to tell which nostril has more air flow, dont have to wear it but it wouldn't hurt either.
  • LSBLSB Posts: 175
    edited 2006-12-12 14:18
    Ok,
    I'm just brainstorming in the 5 minutes before I go to work, but obviously you'll need to connect one open-ended tube to each nostril... how about a couple of low pressure air sensors Tee'd into the lines. Wouldn't greater pressure in equally sized tubes indicate greater flow? Seems simple, direct, and robust. The only remaining question is, does it work?
    I recently purchased a 0-1.45 kPa (.145 PSI) absolute sensor at Jameco for $9.95(?). I know they are available in many different styles and ranges. Maybe a similar differential model (measures the difference between two inputs) would work better for your application.

HTH--
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-12-12 17:54
    How about temperature sensors on each nostril?

Isolate them from each other and maybe provide a 3rd as an ambient temp source.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-12-12 22:10
    Actually, if you use this approach (Two tubes with a pressure sensor on a T), I believe that the tube with the higher flow will have the lower pressure.· Kind of a venturi·(spelling) effect.

If you only care which nostril is breathing more, you could also use a tube from each nostril with a T in each.· Connect each of the Ts to a port on a differential pressure switch/transducer.· The greater the difference, the greater the difference in velocity.· Again, I believe the higher flow will have lower pressure.
    LSB said...
    Ok,
    I'm just brainstorming in the 5 minutes before I go to work, but obviously you'll need to connect one open-ended tube to each nostril... how about a couple of low pressure air sensors Tee'd into the lines. Wouldn't greater pressure in equally sized tubes indicate greater flow? Seems simple, direct, and robust. The only remaining question is, does it work?
    I recently purchased a 0-1.45 kPa (.145 PSI) absolute sensor at Jameco for $9.95(?). I know they are available in many different styles and ranges. Maybe a similar differential model (measures the difference between two inputs) would work better for your application.

HTH--
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10