Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller OS for Demo Board and Hydra - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller OS for Demo Board and Hydra

2»

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-14 17:44
    Sid,
    I know the documentation isn't much yet, but there is a brief description of the "color" command. The numbers you enter depend on the type of the display. For VGA, they're %RRGGBBxx where RR is red, GG is green, BB is blue, and xx is "don't care" (2 bits each).

I know there's a problem with DataScope. I'm looking into it. Make sure you have the updated VGA driver source otherwise none of the VGA sample programs will display anything. Thanks.
    Mike
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-12-14 19:05
    Mike, either I'm dpoing something wrong or I'm not very bright - probably both.

Wrote: ·color %10101000··········· 'missing or invalid
    Wrote:· setcolor %10101000·····'unknown command
    Wrote: ·setcolors %10101000··· 'unknown command

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2006-12-14 19:27
    Sid,
    Please read the documentation. There is no "setcolor" or "setcolors" command. The syntax and an example of the "color" command are given in the "Propeller OS Manual" in the documentation folder in the archive. For text purposes, colors are in pairs, even/odd. The even color is for the even scan lines and the odd color is for the odd scan lines. The four colors (fgd3, fgd2, fore, back) are paired differently for even and odd. The even color has fgd3=fore for the foreground color and fgd2=back for the background color. The odd color has fgd3=fgd2 for the foreground color and fore=back for the background color. I may change these names to make this easier. They're an artifact of how text is displayed on both the TV and VGA displays. When you display graphics, these are distinct colors and the names make sense. Each pixel can be one of 4 colors in that case. I may change the names to clr0,clr1,clr2,clr3 with fore,back referring to the paired sets of text colors.
    Mike
    edited 2006-12-14 20:33
    Per the OS manual, I wrote:

color 0 fore $28 fgd2 $00 back $FF

The screen cleared, prompt went Home, color was yellow font on black.

Changed back $FF to $00 - no change

Changed for $28 to $18 - no change

Wrote:· color 15 - no change

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2006-12-14 21:13
    I'll take another look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the information.
    Mike
    edited 2006-12-15 00:37
    Mike, ·thought I'd give the TV mode a whirl.· In OS_loader changed
    TV =· false to true and reset the TVstartgroup.· Pre-checked my TV setup to make sure it was working OK.· Loaded OS_mainprogram but no display.· The TV screen jittered but that was all.

Do I need to do something else?

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com

Post Edited (Newzed) : 12/15/2006 12:41:53 AM GMT
    edited 2006-12-15 04:22
    Sid,
    If you are using the sources from the beginning of this thread, you have to use a different OS_dspTextInit from the TV rather than the VGA folder. Starting with the next version, you won't have to switch drivers like this ... both will be compiled, but only one used during initialization.
    Mike
    edited 2006-12-15 14:06
    Mike, I finally got the TV going.· Having two files with the same name was very confusing so I changed the one for the TV to "OS_dspTextInitTV"· so I could tell them apart.

Wrote:· color 4 back $07 fore $CE

and the screen changed to black on white.

Wrote:· color 4 back $CE fore $07

and the screen changed back to white on black.· Entered different palette numbers and different color codes from the DAT palette list but couldn't get any change.· Must be missing a step.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-12-16 03:30
    Mike ,

·Here's my calculator program ported to your OS. I left off the return to boot for now.

Brian
    edited 2006-12-16 04:03
    Just thought of somthing , I changed your "new line" comand in dsptext to a PUB . I didn't post that version because I didn't want to mess up your file.

Brian
    edited 2006-12-16 07:18
    The "newline" method is not the same as a carriage return in that it doesn't clear the rest of the current line. It behaves much more like a line feed. I'll change it to a PUB method, but make sure its behavior is what you want.

Mike
    edited 2006-12-16 14:35

Mike, I played around with the OS Hydra program all day yesterday and here is what I found.

Color:

I moved the first four longs of palette1 in "OS_dspTextInit" to the bottom of palette1. Loaded the program and the resultant display was very garbled, but it was black font on magenta background. Restored palette1 to original config and changed first two lines of palette1 to the values for magenta/black. The resultant display was the same – garbled but black on magenta. I feel all the colors are there if I just knew how to call them. I tried the examples in the OS manual but they got me nowhere. If yu could just show me how to properly call a color change………

Probe:

I entered probe 0 and got

Pin 2 512K

Pin 4 512K

Pin 8 320K

Pin 28 32K

What happened to Pin 0? What am I probing for? The numbers look like memory values.

Edit:

I entered edit and the screen displayed 1 to 22 on the left – I presume these are the numbers of lines of text I can enter. The instructions say "Quit using the App Key (to the left of Ins)". I have no APP key on my keyboard. I was able to exit by pressing the key on the bottom keyboard bank just right of the Windows logo key – the key icon looks sort of like a keyboard.

List:

I entered list and got a screen with numbers like 4:0800, 4:10000 on the left side, all with the comment

Unused(uninitialized)

For what it's worth.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2006-12-16 15:03
    Mike, forgot to mention -

I could not get SimpleDemo to run.· Changed the VGAstartgroup in OS_loader but I have a feeling the VGA never gets started.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2006-12-16 18:55
    Mike ,
    Read directions on the 1025 data sheet ,Have all kinds of memory now. My memory chip is on 2&3· , I probed 0 and it shows another 512k (RAM ?).

Brian

Post Edited (truckwiz) : 12/16/2006 7:00:21 PM GMT
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2006-12-26 02:16
    Mike ,
    ·Are you still working on this ? I'm going back to working on the editor & basic . Have you had any luck handing control back over to the OS.

Brian

ps. Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays ,whatever you prefer .
    edited 2006-12-26 08:46
    Brian,
    Yes, I'm still working on the OS. It's difficult debugging the loader partly because it's in assembler and partly a lot of the OS depends on it. It's also a busy holiday season. I'll have more time in the next week or two
    Mike
    edited 2006-12-27 05:11
    Mike,
    I've been playing around with that little program that we wrote in asm (add,sub,rol ,ect), I hooked a basic stamp to the prop to give it a slow clock . I can get the prop to send me the results of each instruction , but every time I run it I get a different results ?? I'll keep trying.

Brian

ps . I was using it on your OS· , to try to see what was happening.

Post Edited (Brian Beckius) : 12/27/2006 5:26:39 AM GMT
    edited 2006-12-27 05:25
    Post your current code and examples of what you get and I'll have a look at it.
    edited 2006-12-27 05:56
    Mike,
    What I'm doing is inserting a line of code that is returning the value of the clock to a lcd display. I'm inserting it in the main OS code ,But I'm moving it around in the program to try and find the glitch.

Brian

ps. the biggest problem I'm having is trying to set baud rate on the lcd , being I'm slowing the main clock up.

Post Edited (Brian Beckius) : 12/27/2006 6:17:04 AM GMT
    edited 2006-12-27 23:32
    Mike ,
    ·Try this code . Blinks led 10 times & then hands control back over to· OS.

Brian
    edited 2006-12-28 00:51
    Mike ,
    ·Found it ! well it worked 2 times & then started doing the same thing , works fine in tv mode .

·vgaBase···· = 40······ 'was 32··········

Brian

ps. I think its running out of video memory , It looks like its over·running··other·data.(Prop Demo Board)

pss. Works great on hydra !

Post Edited (Brian Beckius) : 12/28/2006 3:13:08 AM GMT
  • TyreBiterTyreBiter Posts: 40
    edited 2007-02-11 17:39
    Mike,

I am running a Demo Board with VGA. I have made all the changes that have been recommended up though Brian's 12/27/06 fix.

Trying to run SimpleDemo.spin and the demo starts fine, however, when a character is supplied to return to the OS the screen goes black.

I get the same results with both OS 2.002 and OS 2.004

Regards,

David
    edited 2007-02-11 20:59
    Thanks, David and Brian. I'll see what I can do.