Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1 communication again — Parallax Forums

BS1 communication again

Richard BaloghRichard Balogh Posts: 8
edited 2006-12-11 14:44 in BASIC Stamp
Please,

is there any possibility to have a bidirectional communication using the built-in USB interface in BS1USB module?

Yes, I can send data from BS1 to the PC using DEBUG command, but I need also enter a command FROM PC to the BS1.

Because there is no DEBUGIN command in BS1 and there is no possibility to use SERIN command on the programming pin,
I can't see any possibility.

I have an idea to connect one of the P0-P7 pins in parallell with the PCO (or PCI?) pin, but it's difficult without
the schematics of the BS1USB...

Richard Balogh

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-12-11 10:24
    Richard -

I've never used the BS1USB module, but what's wrong with using SERIN/SEROUT in an ordinary manner, say on Pin Port 7? Your baud rate is a bit restricted, but I don't see that as a problem with small amounts of data.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Richard BaloghRichard Balogh Posts: 8
    edited 2006-12-11 13:11
    Of course it is absolutely OK to use SERIN/SEROUT on Pin 7, but when You have BS1USB already connected to the USB port of Your PC, why to
    make things complicated and to add an additional serial port?
    Using BS2 You can use the same port for downloading of data and then for Your application. I'm trying to do the same with BS1USB module...
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-11 14:44
    The BS1 is an old product with very limited capabilities, yet useful nonetheless. As the BS1USB, it can transmit data to the PC over the USB port using the DEBUG statement. There is an article by Jon Williams in Nuts and Volts (downloadable from Parallax's website) on how to do this. There is no way to go the other way except to reprogram the device (or use some other pin).