Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beginning question — Parallax Forums

Beginning question

73project73project Posts: 4
edited 2006-12-13 13:05 in BASIC Stamp
· This question is for a BS2OEM kit board. I assembled the board, connected it to the PC serial port, and applied power with a 9V battery. I opened the Windows editor that was downloaded from the Parallax site. When I selected Run - Identify per the manual, I got the Echo as a "yes", but the Loopback indicated "no". The cable has pins #6 and #7 jumpered on the connector that plugs into the female connector on the board. The Stamp functions normally with the beginning "hello world" test program, so should I be concerned with this?? I'm running XP on my PC. Any help for a newbie would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-12-09 12:56
    73Project -

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it, except for the fact that it's a bit curious. Did you construct the serial cable you're using?

I'm also a bit curious why you're not using a USB port if you're using Windows XP? Admittedly, you may need to use a USB-->Serial adapter, depending on what carrier board you're using.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • 73project73project Posts: 4
    edited 2006-12-10 01:47
    · I did construct the cable myself.· Connections from the female to male connector were pin #1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, 5 to 5, 6 and 7 jumpered together on the male end of the cable. Am I missing something?
    edited 2006-12-10 07:30
    73Project -

Did you miss pin 6 to pin 6 and pin 7 to pin 7? Ifso, that's your problem.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-12-10 23:46
    · I didn't connect pins 6 and 7 through the cable. I didn't think that you had to. I'll try this and post the results. Thanks for the help!
    edited 2006-12-11 06:51
    73Project -

I suspected that from the way you worded your post. If you don't connect them through to the "far end" (the PBASIC IDE) can't "see" them connected at the Stamp end, and thus feels there is no Stamp present. This is NOT a fatal error, however, as far as I am aware.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-12-11 14:41
    Hmm. In theory, you COULD jumper them at the PC end -- there's nothing magical about routing them all the way to the BS2 and back. If it's just the "Identify" that fails, but Progamming works, I suspect you're trying to 'identify' on the wrong port.

In any event, if it programs, you're good to go.
    edited 2006-12-13 13:05
    · I jumpered it at the computer end of the cable and all is well! yeah.gif Thanks for the help!