Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
General EEprom question....concerning the Propeller — Parallax Forums

General EEprom question....concerning the Propeller

James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
edited 2006-12-08 04:18 in Propeller 1
Is the EEprom absolutely required for the Propeller to run?

James L

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-08 03:59
    No, however you will need to reload the program each time the Propeller is reset or powered up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2006-12-08 04:01
    Thanks,

I just wanted to know.....I always want my system to power up without my help [noparse]:)[/noparse]

James L
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-08 04:04
    The EEPROM is not required. If you have a connection to a PC so you can download a program to RAM, that program will run normally as long as there is power and no further resets are done. If you are just doing program development, you can do quite well without EEPROM. If the Propeller resets for any reason, whether due to a power failure or a pulse on the DTR line, the whole thing will stop and the only way to restart it is to download a fresh copy of a program to RAM. The advantage of an EEPROM is that you don't need the PC all the time.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-08 04:07
    Without the EEPROM....
    It still need help from a PC in the form a a reload.

I suspect the intention was to bypass the EEPROM when making tests and changes to a program, but use the EEPROM once a stable solution is found.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2006-12-08 04:18
    Well....to admit my mistakes...I told someone that the Eeprom was needed.....but I wasn't sure....so I ask...and found I was wrong. But I went back and edited my post to reflect my mistake.

James L