Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Propeller chip found: propstick USB — Parallax Forums

No Propeller chip found: propstick USB

kbkb Posts: 5
edited 2006-12-11 20:45 in Propeller 1

Greetings,

I just received my new propstickUSB and cannot get the propeller tool to find it.

The software was correctly loaded, virtual COM4 was created, and the propstick USB clearly shows TX/RX indicators when I attach it to the computer.

I have verified correct voltages at Vin and VDD, both are showing the regulator is working and I am supply via clean 5V to Vin.

The identify hardware selection scans the ports but reports no propeller chip found.

Any ideas what might be going on? I've probably overlooked something, but am starting to get worried the propstick might have been bad to begin with?

Thanks for your suggestions.

kb

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-08 00:36
    Ok, first make sure when you plug it in the indicators flash more than once. If so, open a terminal program and type some stuff, then short pins 39 and 40 together, and type some more stuff, this should echo the charactors you type into the terminal program. Let me know what the result of the tests are.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • kbkb Posts: 5
    edited 2006-12-08 01:57
    Thanks for the quick reply.

The lights flash more than once, and the virtual com port (COM4) shows up correctly in device manager, so the USB drivers load when I hook it up.

I tried your test w/ hyperterm and shorting the pins.· I don't get any echo chars back.

Kb
    edited 2006-12-08 02:04
    Ok, the guy responsible for the testing procedure has left for the day, I will follow up with this tomorrow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2006-12-08 16:55
    Kb,
    When you transmit data to the PropStick USB, does the blue light blink? If it does blink but the propeller will not program, it is most likely a hardware problem. If so, call tech support and get an RMA. If the blue light does not blink, the problem could be either hardware or software related. In this case call tech support to verify or fix the problem, and if needed, get an RMA. If you have any other devices that use the FT232BQ or FT232RL chips, you can use them to verify the drivers, because they use the same setup.

- David Carrier
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-12-08 17:06
    One thing you might also check. With the PropSTICK USB plugged in, go to the control panel, click System -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Then find your device under Ports. Double click it and click Advanced. Check two things:

1. Make sure the latency is set to 1, not 16.
    2. Make sure the Device Enumerator (or somesuch; I'm not at my Windows machine right now) box is checked.

This latter is very important, because for some reason, the IDE will not recognize it otherwise. (This is too bad, because you need to uncheck this box to keep Windows from identifying the device as a serial mouse if it sends characters upon reset. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed in a subsequent version of the IDE.)

-Phil
    edited 2006-12-08 17:46
    Thanks for the info.

The latency had defaulted to 16 so I changed it to 1.· The serial enumerator was already checked.

I modified the latency and verified the other settings, but still no change.· The propeller tool still says no hardware found.

Next steps?

Thanks,

KB
  • WurlitzerWurlitzer Posts: 237
    edited 2006-12-09 14:19
    Same problem with my new educational board. LEDs do flash multiple times when the USB cable is first plugged in.

I tried the hyperterminal text described above and no LEDs flashed at any time nor did any characters get echoed.

I measured "0" volts on the RES line to the USB board. Should that not be pulled high? I disconnected the wire from Pin 11 of the Prop chip (RESn) and the voltage was still low.

I tried this board on 2 different XP PCs with the same results. On both PCs I followed the troubleshooting guide and changed the Latency from 16 to 1 with no difference in symptoms. No SPIN no Joy.
    edited 2006-12-09 15:08
    Just an update from my previous post. Hyperterminal did not work until I changed the flow control from the default "Hardware" to "NONE". Now the LEDs flash while typing in Hyperterminal and will echo characters with Pins 39/40 jump together.

However the Propeller Tool still fails on the F7 connection attempt showing no connection and scanning Comm 1 and Comm 4 (Comm 4 is the USB port).

Placing a scope on the Propeller RESn line showed a high (USB RES line disconnected) a short negative pulse approx 40ms. I tried pulling up the RESn line and the USB RES line with a 10K and it works. I can connect. Hmmmm!
    edited 2006-12-11 17:50
    Are there any further steps recommended for troubleshooting the propstick USB?· Did I get a 'dud'?· I just got this and have so far not been able to do anything with it.· If I need to return it as a possible defective unit, please let me know.

I called support and was referred back to this forum for resolution...

kb
    edited 2006-12-11 18:29
    kb,

Call Tech Support again and reference my name, they are expecting your call and will provide you with an RMA.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-12-11 19:03
    Hello Wurlitzer,

Are you referring to the Propeller Education Kit and the Troubleshooting section it the Setup and Testing lab?

·-Stephanie Lindsay

Editor, Parallax Inc.
    edited 2006-12-11 20:14
    Yes Steph, I am working with the Educational Kit and the limited USB troubleshooting guide for that kit·plus the reference in this forum regarding the use of Hyperterminal.

While the board is now working, I looked at the problem a little further. I noticed that the waveform and voltage present on the RESn pin for the Propeller chip were different if measured at the physical pin than if measured at some junction to that pin be it the pushbutton switch or the RES terminal on the USB board.

It would appear that the pins on the Propeller chip are just long enough to contact the female sockets in the Educational Kit's breadboard. I measured 10K+ resistance between the USB RES pin and the Propeller RESn pin. Repeated chip removals and re-insertions finally created a .1 ohm connection.

Based upon my experience it would appear that the Propeller RESn pin provides some what of a pull up for the USB board.

In any event it is now working without an external 10K pull up and I am spinning.

Thanks!
    edited 2006-12-11 20:45

I must say I'm not too thrilled with the way Parallax is handling this.

I am out my money on the brand new chip. Followed instructions and was bounced around between the forum and tech support (note: you all on the forum were quite responsive and I appreciate that).

Now I have to RMA the device, which I understand. What I don't understand is how Parallax expects me to pay for RMA shipping (and possibly return) and have also stated it may be a 50-50 split for a replacement cost.

So, here I am out close to $100 and haven't even gotten a working product yet. Very frustrating.

·