Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fingerprint scanner, data storage, — Parallax Forums

Fingerprint scanner, data storage,

T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
edited 2006-12-09 02:26 in General Discussion
I need to find a solution for reading a finger print, storing up to some amount of prints for multiple user, and finally, being able to send the data to and from other devices. The processor already on the conroller board is the Propeller with extra i/o available.

There are two scenerios, one involves a PC as the print acquisition and storage, where each entryway(s) using the scanner accesses the main PC terminal to confirm/decline the attempted entry via print input. In this case, all scans are first loaded in the PC, the remote scan terminals are siply communicating to the PC. The PC can delete or susspend the particular fingerprint/user with a proprietary application for managing access.

The second scenerio preferably does not use a PC, but rather the Propeller for acquisition and storage(SD?) of X number or prints(at least 5 users). This case does not share it's data with other entryways or is it networked, pnly one entry system to control, and use the Propeller, scanner, and data storage medium all as one self contained unit. This will of course require some buttons to control the data input and naming scheme, most likely using an LCD.

Googling has turned up no good answers on how to get started reading a print, if anyone has any quick thoughts on the subject please share them! Thanks
396 x 336 - 21K

Comments

• Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2006-12-07 20:41
    i just recieved a sample fingerprint scanner that will hold i believe 80 users.· i have it at the house.· iwill get you the specs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2006-12-08 03:43
    altitudeap

I·just recieved a sample fingerprint scanner that will hold i believe 80 users.

Can you give an web page to get a sample

Thanks For any help that you can give in this matter

Sam······ smile.gif
    edited 2006-12-08 04:27
    this is what i recieved
    i was incorrect. it will hold 188 profiles
    Qoute from correspondence.
    - Remeber, the FPC-AM can store 188 templates, coming version built on
    the new FPC2020 Processor will be able to handle about 500. Templates
    can be stored in a central database and be distributed (downloaded) to
    the modules/units to serve the right population group but we are not
    providing a performing solution for real-time use towards a central
    template database storage only.
    http://www.cdiweb.com/inventory

It is serially communicated to.· A form of SPI.· Very cool, small little device.

It can also pull from a database.· I have well over 188 users so what i have planned is to have a keypad that the user will use a 4 digit number.· I cann give this number to 188 individuals.· It will upload the database for these and then verify the fingerprint.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (altitudeap) : 12/8/2006 4:33:13 AM GMT
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2006-12-08 04:50
    That is great news, just what I was looking for I think. Thanks!
    edited 2006-12-08 06:09
    it is a really small package. Let me know and i will post the info of the guy i have been comunicating with tommorow

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-12-08 06:09
    it is a really small package. Let me know and i will post the info of the guy i have been comunicating with tommorow

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2006-12-08 06:48
    I was going to try to contact them Friday, so, sure, please post any info. Do youi intend to use it with the Propeller? As soon as I get one in I intend to get some code going for it.

Post Edited (originator) : 12/8/2006 7:52:44 AM GMT
    edited 2006-12-09 02:26
    altideap I have already communicated with Sweden and the area Reps in Ca. Here is a thought, if you had more than 188 users stored in a database, how long would it take to pull from the db every file until a match was found? The max speed is 118k, but over some distance of wire(or wireless), what medium is really available to run that fast, for example, some large building? Even at 118k, let's say it had to retrieve 500 templates at 30k per template, what time would it take? If you just took the baudrate alone as a factor, you could only get around 4 templates a sec @ 30kbyte per template, and even this sounds wring sincde baud is bit based! So that method is not an option. I am thinking the downloadable template is not really a used for scanning users above your max limit of 188 or 500 future limit. Still, it is a nice piece I am looking forward to testing soon with the eval kit soon.