Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra protection — Parallax Forums

Hydra protection

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-12-10 06:20 in Propeller 1
My Hydra just arrived a few hours ago.
I would like to thank Andre LeMothe as the text is excellent and exactly the introduction to video and gaming that I was hoping for.· It is very difficult to find this kind of introduction, overview and retrospect in the computer world.

Anyway, as with all my printed circuit boards, there is some concern about protecting from shorts and static.
I personally am quite happy and comfortible with hot glue.· In fact, I buy green hot glue locally for my projects.

So in order to prevent future disasters while enjoying the Hydra, I have 'hot glued' the back side for insulation.· As you can see, I do this with other boards too.· For rework, a utility knife can easily cut out what you need to remove.· Soldering seems not to be interferred with.

So... let the games begin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
1082 x 780 - 318K

Comments

• BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2006-12-07 14:24
    slimer.jpg
  • cbmeekscbmeeks Posts: 634
    edited 2006-12-07 15:49
    I don't know if I should laugh or cry...lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Coders' Hangout
    A place for programmers to hangout!
    http://www.codershangout.com

METROID?
    Metroid Classic
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-08 08:13
    Cbmeeks,
    I suppose for some this is sacrilege [noparse][[/noparse]it is a beautiful board], but the hot glue will remove easily and clean up with mineral spirits.
    If you work like me, you try to start out neat, but there is always clutter creeping onto the work bench that
    can short the backplane.

In the past two years I've taken a couple of such hits.

In short, I really plan to use this a lot [noparse][[/noparse]share with friends and kids] and with all the cables it is going to be dragged into obstacles - some conductive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-08 10:05
    Kramer,
    Why are you teasing us with that picture of the bottom of your board? We want to see the top side!
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2006-12-08 16:40
    Kramer,

Since there are mounting holes, why not just mount an Acrylic or Plexiglas backing to the board? ...I know, I know there's something irresistible about fluorescent green.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-08 17:56
    It may seem silly, but it is quite hard for me to get a piece of plexiglas locally. Language barrier and shops want to do production runs, not one off parts. And, obviously the hot glue is quite inexpensive. I could use a blank piece of printed circuit board. Or I could look for a plastic chassis box, but enclosure leads to other challenges.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2006-12-08 21:32
    Can you find conformal coating? I am not sure if there is another technical name for it. We spary our production PCB boards with it to protect them from corrosion and the shorts that you are talking off.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter
    tdswieter.com
    One little spark is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-12-08 23:10
    Yes indeed, conformal coating is used by the military in both sides of PCBs to protect against humidity,contaminants and scratches.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-12-08 23:14
    It (conformal coating) can also help dampen vibrations. We used on circuit boards used on leveling systems used on various types of semi-trailers that were mobile facilities.

We used it for protection from the elements, the vibration dampening was an unexpected side effect!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-12-09 00:04
    Foam card and some double sided tape works well too.

As does a square of car floor mat or some or the non-slip sheet made by Duck.

Graham
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-09 00:40
    The problem with conformal coating is it's difficult to remove. You can use a soldering iron to burn thru most conformal coatings - but it's not the method I would use for more than a handful of connections.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-09 00:49
    How about latex? It peels off pretty easily, don't know how it would react with the board though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-12-09 00:56
    An easier thing to do is this, get a piece of black construction paper, lay the hydra on it, cut out hte hydra square, punch 4 holes into it, put the constructin paper under it, there you go. But, there are 3/4" standoffs, so I never have trouble with shorts, even on the carpet. But, the construction paper method looks nice, is easily removable, and of course doens't ghettofy the board [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Andre'
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2006-12-10 06:20
    Call the ghost busters. Slimer just attacked Kramer's Hydra. :P