Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to debug a possibly dead sx key rev f — Parallax Forums

How to debug a possibly dead sx key rev f

TransistorToasterTransistorToaster Posts: 149
edited 2006-12-13 00:04 in General Discussion
Hi,
I've been using the SX key rev F for over a year and yesterday, it just suddenly stopped working. I ran a program, it worked, then I tried to run another one and the IDE just said that the SX was not found on COM2. I checked pins 2 and 3 on the SX key and there is some activity on both lines before the IDE gives the error messages. I was wondering if anybody else had this problem and what they did. Or is there a way to just get the SX key all by itself, for real cheap? Ideas, please?
Frank

Comments

• Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-12-07 09:42
    Frank,

please try the following:

Connect the SX-Key to the PC's COM port, as usual
    Connect the SX-Key to your prototype, and power it up
    On the PC launch a terminal program, like HyperTerminal
    Configure the terminal program to connect to the COM port with the SX-Key at 57600-8-N-1, no handshake, and turn off echoing outgoing characters in case the terminal program has that feature
    With the SX-Key powered, type in the following string (upper/lower case matters) without the quotes: "SX-Key"
    While you type in each character, it should be echoed back from the SX-Key
    As soon as you have typed in the last character (y), the SX-Key should answer with "SX-Key???", where the "???" stands for three arbitrary characters

If this works, you at least know that the SX20 on the SX-Key is alive, and that the communication with the PC is working.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-07 14:09
    Ask someone at Parallax about service and repair.
    Generally you might find that you can save a few $$$.

On the other hand, if you want a spare. Just buy another SX-KEY while waiting for the repair/exchange.
    I think you can buy one alone.

IF you look carefully, I think you will see that Parallax sells replacement parts for just about everything it is currently stocking.
    For instance, I am pretty sure I can buy a leg or two for my Toddler if I were to break one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • jbumataijbumatai Posts: 26
    edited 2006-12-07 21:07
    Hello,

I tried this solution to test my first SX-Key connection with my Com1 Port. Although my SX-Key v.3.0 is giving me "SX Key not found on Com1" I do get Com1 connected on the Hyperterminal test on this thread. I am thinking that I have my SX Key connected to the wrong Com Port but I am mentioning my experience because I think I am getting a false positive for this test.

JBuma
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-12-07 22:19
    I believe that Hyperterminal being "connected" to COM1 only means that Hyperterm was able to access teh driver and open the port (e.g. it exists, and is not in use by another application). It does not necessarily mean that anything is on the other end.

When you typed in the SX-Key phrase, did you get a return?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • TransistorToasterTransistorToaster Posts: 149
    edited 2006-12-08 01:50
    Thanks Gunther for your advice. The SX Key did echo the characters I gave it, but gave no response. When I unplugged the key, there was no echo in the terminal. I spoke to a tech support guy at Parallax and I ordered a brand new SX key.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2006-12-08 05:27
    Hey Transistortoaster,

I've damaged some SX-Keys myself and it's often a mysterious occurence. We shouldn't be charging you for a replacement; you've got bigger things to think about. If you wouldn't mind, send me your complete name and shipping info by e-mail to kgracey@parallax.com. If we've already shipped it then I'll get you a credit for the purchase; if not then I'll ship one out for free.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-12-08 14:59
    Frank,

When connected to a serial port, the SX-Key always echoes back whatever character it receives. This is because on the SX-Key, the TxD and RxD lines are connected together via a resistor, so this only tells you that the serial cable, the connectors, and the COM port are ok. When you don't receive the "SK-Key" answer string after you have entered it, you (I'd better say the SX-Key) are in bad shape.

Thanks to Ken you'll have a new SX-Key soon. Here are some rules I follow when handling it:

Always turn off power before plugging or un-plugging the SX-Key to/from the device under test
    Double-check that the SX-Key is correctly sitting on the four header pins before applying power. Normally, it will not get damaged when you plug it on in reverse but you most likely will fry it when you plug it in with an offset, e.g. only three header pins connected to the SX-Key, and one pin left open.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • TransistorToasterTransistorToaster Posts: 149
    edited 2006-12-09 15:34
    Thanks a lot guys.
    Frank
  • jbumataijbumatai Posts: 26
    edited 2006-12-12 18:38
    Another Question about Hyperterminal: how can I tell that I am getting feedback from the SX-Key?

If I open a Hyperterminal connection with Com2, I type and no text is output on screen.
    If I open Com1, I type, "SX-Key", I get SX-Key but only once.

I am not getting any extra characters. What does that mean?

Thanks,
    JBumatai
    edited 2006-12-13 00:04
    First, check to which COM port you have connected the SX-Key, and open this port in Hyperterminal. Whatever characters you type in, should be echoed back from the SX-Key. This is because on the SX-Key, the TxD line from the PC's COM port is fed back into the RxD line. When you notice that everything you type in is echoed back, you can be sure that the SX-Key is connected to the right COM port. This even does work when the SX-Key is not powered, and with any baud rate you may have selected in HyperTerminal. You mention that you get the echo when you open COM1 in Hyperterminal, so I assume that you have connected the SX-Key to COM1.

In order to check if the SX20 on the SX-Key is handling communications correctly, you must make sure that the SX-Key has power, and you must select 57600-8-N-1 in HyperTerminal. Then EXACTLY (i.e. in right upper/lower case sequence) type in "SX-Key" (without the quotes). While you type in that text, you will see each character as it is echoed back from the SX-Key. But after you have typed in the final "y", and after this has been echoed back, the SX-Key should send another "SX-Keyxxx" answer which is not simply an echo, but an answer generated by the SX20 on the SX-Key. This will only work, when you exactly type in the "SX-Key" (right case, no backspaces, or other editing in between), when the SX-Key is powered, and the SX20 on the SX-Key is alive.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G