Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1USB only has one way communication? — Parallax Forums

BS1USB only has one way communication?

Paul HooverPaul Hoover Posts: 15
edited 2006-12-07 03:40 in General Discussion
I recently purchased the BS1USB and I'm trying to get it to communicate with my computer.· I've been able to program it and have gotten fine performance.· But I am at a loss of how to communicate from the stamp back to my PC.· Serout doesn't seem to·work because there isn't a serial connection.· I've heard people say that you can decode the debug data and use that, but it is too slow for what i need to do.· Is the BS1USB really just a one way communicator?· confused.gif·In and not out?· If so, does anyone know how to get a bs1 or bs2 to communicate with a pc that doesn't have a serial port (and only has USB).

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-06 22:05
    The BS1 can talk to the PC via the DEBUG statement. There was a column in Nuts and Volts I believe on how to do this and there's a sample program for the PC to decode the packet sent by the BS1. The BS1USB should work the same way. Someone else may have the link or you can browse through the on-line issues.

The BS2 also has a DEBUG statement that communicates through the programming port (which can be USB). This uses standard serial I/O although at a fixed Baud (9600).
  • Paul HooverPaul Hoover Posts: 15
    edited 2006-12-06 23:04
    The second option you mention seems more apealing because of performance. I assume i'll need the usb serial adaptor
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-07 00:46
    Paul,
    You can use an external USB adapter with a serial version of the Stamp or one of the development boards with a built-in USB adapter. I've used both Parallax's adapters and the Keyspan high speed USB adapter without problems (on a Mac).
    Mike
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-07 03:40
    Paul,

·· I answered this question in the BASIC Stamp thread where you also had a post.· Please see that thread for a link to the article Mike is referring to, or rather, a reprint of it in our Completed Projects Forum.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=597631

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support