Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stoplight Controller/Party Lighting — Parallax Forums

Stoplight Controller/Party Lighting

Pat AlonziPat Alonzi Posts: 27
edited 2006-12-06 20:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Everyone,

I have a new project and could appreciate some input. Our town was recently replacing the stoplights at various intersections with new LED modules and was getting rid of a few signal heads. We'll leave out the detials but now I have a few. So far, I have cleaned, rewired, repainted, the lights. I am trying to make them work as lights for when we have parties at our apartment down at Purdue, **Home of the Boilermakers**, Sorry had to put it in· there. Ok well So far i have built a nice industrial control box with 8 channels controlled by the BS2 using a Darlington transistor to isolate the 2 circuits. Here is what I am curious about, Is it at all possible to have the basic stamp "listen" to a line level audio source and pick out the different frequencies to fire the different contactors? I am sure that it could be done with a small mic but I don't want it to be picking up all the background noise. If your curious as to seeing what it looks like so far check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Sqz9ObASU
In it's current form, I am just using a random number%2,3,4 to determine which light should fire.

Let me know your thoughts.

-Pat

Comments

• AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-12-06 20:16
    Yes it is absolutly possabile to get the stamp to listen to something. I don't know what you know about audio so forgive me if I get to basic.

A mic simply takes a sound wave and turns it into an electrical signal. That signal is then pumped to the speakers someway or other which makes a magnet go back and forth producing sound.

Short answer - treat the signal like a mic on a robot that when you clap your hands the robot does something.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-12-06 20:16
    Take a look at the LMC567 tone decoder. Several of these (tuned to different frequencies) between the audio stream and the Stamp should give you the kind of data you need.

-Phil
  • Pat AlonziPat Alonzi Posts: 27
    edited 2006-12-06 20:52
    Haha, thanks for the refresher AIman.

I was thinking they were the same type of signal just that the line level signal is just a higher power and i could lower that with a stereo variable resistor (something around 100k ohms). Not quite sure how i want to do this. The other idea I had was to have the thing controlled by my laptop and have the bs2 basically just acting as a Serial 8 channel switch. Thanks for the help.