Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vinculum — Parallax Forums

Vinculum

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2007-04-23 12:24 in Propeller 1
Where is the link to info on this new chip?
I can't find it....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.fd.com.my
www.mercedes.com.my

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-12-06 04:02
    www.parallax.com
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2006-12-06 04:38
    http://www.vinculum.com/

Regards.
    Alberto.
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2006-12-07 01:07
    Can Vinculum be used to interface Propeller to USB WiFi stick or a USB Camera?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-07 01:32
    At this point in time Vinculum only supports USB storage class devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-07 01:39
    There's a firmware update (2.09) that provides some support for USB printers, FTDI's serial adapters, and some HID devices (mice, keyboards, etc.) You can download the manual from Vinculum's website.
    edited 2006-12-07 01:44
    Thanks Mike, I missed that when I was looking there for the info.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2006-12-07 06:28
    Since this has 2 usb ports, and they can be configured " independently " as master or slave, in theory with the drivers installed, it could have one usb device communicating / controlling / programming to another usb device. Does this sound possible?

kelvin
    edited 2006-12-07 06:44
    yes, that is possible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-12-07 10:14
    Mike Green said...
    There's a firmware update (2.09) that provides some support for USB printers, FTDI's serial adapters, and some HID devices (mice, keyboards, etc.) You can download the manual from Vinculum's website.

Excellent news

Graham
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2006-12-07 13:30
    Is it possible to use a USB joystick with this device?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
    edited 2006-12-07 15:15
    I don't think so at this point. As Mike says there is some support now for printers and HIDs but looking at the manual (VDAP firmware specs) you have basically the ability to send and receive commands to a USB device, you would have to find out more about the specific device in question. HIDs like Mice and keyboards seem to follow quite standard protocols but a joystick is anyones guess, you might try looking on:

www.usb.org/home

For information but its not exactly beginner friendly, just long specs.

Graham
    edited 2006-12-07 16:12
    Joysticks are considered to be HID devices and the Vinculum should be able to talk to them (with the 2.xx update). They don't have high-level support where the Vinculum reports the positioning and button information. It's more like you can ask the device for data register #1 and you have to know what that is and how to use it. Again, have a look at the latest firmware manual.

The Vinculum can only act as a USB host (master). The DIP-style development package (VDIP) has only one USB port implemented. You have to connect an external USB socket or cable to use the 2nd port. The manual shows how to do that.

The printer support is fairly primitive and very much depends on the specifics of the printer. Consider the Vinculum to be a replacement for a parallel port connection. You can read the status of the printer (ready, paper out, etc.) and sent it raw bytes. What the printer does with them is your business.

Mike
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-12-07 16:44
    I have been considering VDIP. Any positive experience with it ?
    By the way, I have found FTDI sells in UKPounds, so
    I understand they deliver from UK ? How much time·it takes to ship a single order ?
    Anyone has ordered from them directly·?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Gerry KeelyGerry Keely Posts: 75
    edited 2006-12-07 17:18
    ·I have, but I live next door(Ireland).Delivery was about two/three days.

I note DLPdesigns also sell some FTDI parts.

Regards

Gerry
    edited 2006-12-07 17:30
    Chris Savage successfully interfaced with several thumb drives using the VDIP yesterday in it's UART mode of operation. He used a BS2, but it will obviously work for a Propeller as well. I should be getting mine in the next few days, and I'll share my experience using the Propeller to interface with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-12-07 17:41
    I've been able to interface a Propeller with the VDIP using SPI mode. There's no problem with a manual interface that works like a terminal (type something - it gets sent to the Vinculum, receive something - it gets displayed). The difficulty is in making it all work automatically. The responses are not well designed for a program to talk to it. This seems to be true for all the SD/MMC/USB interface devices so far including DOSonChip, uALFAT, USBwiz, uMMC.

Mike
  • Jim CJim C Posts: 76
    edited 2006-12-07 21:01
    Regarding the Vinculum part and the V_Drive, I received a V_Drive a couple of days ago.

First impression: Really cool design. Really challenging to get it fired up.

The documention is quite confusing to me. I think I've got it figured out now, but it took several hours of looking at their site, printing paper copies of documents to scribble on, looking at the physical V_Drive, and then starting over again.

The main point that needs to be made more strongly by FTDI is that the V_Drive has the VDAP firmware in it. Starting from scratch and looking through their documents, I thought it was the VDIF firmware, because that is called "USB Slave Device and USB Flash Disk Interface with USB Monitor Port" and it seems to me that pretty much describes a V_Drive. Also, looking at how the V_Drive is wired up, it looks more sensible to have the VDIF firmware driving it. The VDAP is close to the but offers more commands, that allow easier control.
    A second important trick in figuring it out, once I had the right driver documentation, was setting it so it recognized ASCII numbers instead of hex. (The VDIF firmware doesn't allow that, only the VDAP firmware)

With those two things worked out, things came together fairly quickly. So far, I have a terminal program talking to the V_Drive, checking file directories, creating files, deleting files, etc. Now that I got the logic of the documentation figured out, I think getting the propeller to do it all should be fairly straightforward.

I gotta tell you, though: It is really cool to see a USB flash drive hooked up to a Propeller!!

Jim C
    edited 2006-12-07 22:37
    The Vdrive page actually says it has the VDIF firmware on.

Uses VDIF firmware and command set

But it comes with the vdap firmware?

Hmm it's a pretty website they have but its also pretty mixed up and confusing. Why does a firmware even have to have an abreviated name?

Graham
  • Jim CJim C Posts: 76
    edited 2006-12-08 01:59
    For reference, with a terminal program connected to the V_Flash, I gave the command 'FWV' (Get Firmware Versions) and got the following back:

MAIN 02.08VDAPF
    RPRG 1.00R

According to the firmware documentation, these are the version numbers of the main firmware and the reprogramming firmware in the VNC1L-1A. On the Vinculum/FTDI site, it looks like 2.08 is the latest version of the main firmware.

Jim C
  • Simon AmplemanSimon Ampleman Posts: 19
    edited 2006-12-08 16:21
    inaki : I ordered it from Kotrade Inc. in Canada. (kotrade.ca).

I received it the next day by FedEx.

Make sure to ask them to verify the device before sending though... The first time I received a VDRIVE1 instead of the VDIP1 that I ordered, but they sent the VDIP1 the next day.

Simon
  • Rick PrescottRick Prescott Posts: 1
    edited 2007-01-15 15:52
    I hooked up a Logitech RummblePad 2 to a VDIP1.· I get the exact same 8 bytes of data whenever I press any button.· I am assuming this is some kind of interrupt indicator.· Anyone know what command I need to send in order to get back what button has been pushed?
    edited 2007-01-15 22:04
    Are you sure your RummblePad does not need special drivers?

Just a Thought,
    crgwbr

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • HenrymouHenrymou Posts: 128
    edited 2007-01-16 07:23
    one day I a may use this chip, sx chips are pimp though!
    edited 2007-01-16 13:12
    Think of the propeller as 8 32-bit SX Chips all on one chip. lol, I like the SX a lot too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • fuvi83fuvi83 Posts: 1
    edited 2007-04-23 11:26
    Hi All

I have some problem with my vdip1 modul. I would like to make a connection between a vdip1 modul and MCU (not a propeller). I would like to use FIFO as monitor port. What do you think, do I have to pull (up or down) the pins of the modul or I can connect them direct to the MCU pins. I have already spent a lots of time with this modul. I can communicate them with PC using max232 level converter. It works well. There was some success with the MCU-VDIP communication to, but it was not perfect. Can you send me an example or schematic about the correct FIFO connection.

Thans for it!

Sincerely FuVi
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2007-04-23 12:24
    Hi.
    In this thread you'll find a lot of tips about FIFO mode.
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=171953

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.