Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Updates to StampDAQ coming for the New Year - Your input? — Parallax Forums

Updates to StampDAQ coming for the New Year - Your input?

Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
edited 2008-11-09 03:33 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I keep getting the same requests for mods to StampDAQ over and over, so it's about time I guess for a version 2. Here is what will change:

- Greater selection of COM ports (those USB thingies add a lot).

- Ability to send data for up to 26 columns instead of 10

- Ability to GET and SET any cell's data, pretty easy to set up a loop or what not for a range. Many want to do real time collection and adjust values based on the spreadsheets values they provide.
Examples:
DEBUG "SET, C3,", DEC x,CR

DEBUG "GET, D4",CR
DEBUGIN DEC X

- Addition of TIMER directive for seconds (milliseconds) since last cleared instead of time of day.

- Re-doing the help files since I no longer use the software I used to make those.

- Using Install Shield for a single EXE installer.

- Suggestions and feedback welcome. A couple programmable interactive checkboxes or such?

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Martin Hebel
StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·

Comments

• RandyRandy Posts: 79
    edited 2006-12-07 01:39
    Martin,

A programmable box or two would be a great addition. I log information at time intervals as well as when a change in data of a certain magnitude is detected. I display realtime data on the message board and while I don't monitor it regularly there have been times when I see or think I see something of interest. Collected data is saved in a 128k EEPROM. A programmable check box would allow me to request just a short segment of saved data rather than download everything from the last data dump. As you know I can program the Stamp for that information but I have no way of requesting it.

Thanks for StampDAQ, it is great as is. I have learned a lot about programing Stamps because of StampDAQ. I was logging data before using StampDAQ but it was clumsy and time consuming retrieving it via an lcd.

Randy
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-12-07 05:34
    THanks much for the feedback, I'll see what I can work into it that's not too complex. Appreciate the positive comments!

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • DigitalDaveDigitalDave Posts: 3
    edited 2006-12-11 17:45
    I was wondering if any consideration was given to determine if stampdac is compatable with OpenOffice Calc, a "clone" of excel,
    two schools that I work with are converting to OpenOffice, and I just brought up the issue and we will be testing it, but future changes
    might change compatablity. Otherwise a great and useful training tool.
    Dave Koenig
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-12-11 20:20
    DigitalDave -

I suspect Parallax would like to have their software compatible with any common clone software which exists. However. I doubt they have the time to do such exhaustive testing, as might be appropriate.

However, if you were to do the testing, and point out to them where there might be problems, which hopefully can be easily overcome, I'd bet they might be much more willing to help you along the way.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-12-12 01:58
    Dave,
    StampDAQ was developed by me, which means on weekends/night when I had time outside of my real job of teaching at SIU, I put the package together including help files, etc. It was presented to Parallax in an Email, and they liked it so much they asked to label it as a Parallax product. I received some compensation for it. I presented them with my thought on StampDAQ V2, and again they offered some compensation to include material for the SX and Propeller in the package (outside of what I was willing to do it for free as they have always been very good to me), and I know how it can be used in schools and in science & technology which is dear to my heart.

While making it compatible with open-suites would be, um, sweet, I do not have the time nor resources to investigate it. If it works with an 'excel-compatible' product, great, if not, there will not be much I can do. StampPlot is a package in itself, can be used to create logs to be imported, and is also free for eduational use.

Thanks for the feedback, and if you do some testing and let me know it's at lease close, I may investigate, and it seems VBA/Macro have been added to OpenOffice in the recent past, making it at least do-able in theory. It may have to wait until summer though when I have more time.

-Martin Hebel
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    Electronic Systems Technologies
    http://www.siu.edu/~isat/est

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
  • Dylan SmithDylan Smith Posts: 1
    edited 2007-01-23 18:14
    Hello Martin. Any word on when your version 2 of Stampdaq will be released? Thank you.
    edited 2007-01-23 20:24
    Hi Dylan,

It was slowed down a bit when I was requested to add examples for SX and Propeller, but I hope to have a beta posted within a 1 to 2 weeks.

Thanks for the interest!

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    edited 2007-01-25 04:26
    Well, I thought I'd open up my development files for testing... The Excel and BS2 files are pretty firm, I need to finish some Propeller examples and finish up the help files, and make an installer. Couple weeks.

So here is files to get you started testing, the BS2 is fairly well documented.

Test the Interactive bar graph - it's pretty cool, basically using Excel for real-time metering.

http://www.selmaware.com/stampdaq-testing/home.htm

Provide some feedback if you test it please.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-01-25 14:28
    Martin,
    Do you have the help file created yet ?
    When I press "F1" I get a message that it cannot find the help file.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
    edited 2007-01-25 14:35
    Bean (Hitt Consulting) said...
    Martin,
    Do you have the help file created yet ?
    When I press "F1" I get a message that it cannot find the help file.

Bean.

No, I haven't got those done yet, nor are the SX examples you so graciously made for it included yet. It's been a hectic couple weeks which is why I thought I'd post what I have so far.

Attached are the help OLD help files you can extract to the same directory.

-Martin
  • YoMista!YoMista! Posts: 7
    edited 2008-11-09 03:28
    I've been looking for "StampDAQ" on parallax's web site and only get mentions of it on the forum. Is it available anymore? Can anyone link me to it if it is? I'd like to use it in my the HS electronics course I'm teaching along with the Parallax stamps.

Thanks
    George
    edited 2008-11-09 03:33
    Hi George,
    It underwent a name change a couple years back or so to PLX-DAQ with a few more features and such.
    http://www.parallax.com/tabid/393/Default.aspx

-Martin Hebel