Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EEPROM and Propeller — Parallax Forums

EEPROM and Propeller

SomniumSomnium Posts: 46
edited 2006-12-07 12:40 in Propeller 1
I'm working on a project and just need some input and help. I'm planning on recording a short clip, mayb 10-20 sec. worth, and was wondering if I could store that onto the EEROM that is already present on the Prop Propeller Stick. If not around how much space would I need, and possibly some links to where I could buy them. Thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-05 04:46
    The PropStick (serial version) has a socketed EEPROM so you can change the normal 32K byte one for something larger like an Atmel 24LC1025 or Microchip 24L1024 (I think those are the numbers).· These contain 128K bytes of which the first 32K is used as a normal boot EEPROM.· The other 96K is available as a second 32K block and a separate 64K block.·· You can use the I2C library object to read and write to these.

If you have the USB PropStick, you'll have to add an external EEPROM or unsolder the existing SOIC package and substitute a larger capacity one.

The problem with trying to store data into the existing 32K EEPROM is that downloading any program to the PropStick with the Propeller Tool will erase the data that's there.

Another alternative is to include your binary data in the program being loading into the EEPROM by the Propeller Tool.· Check out the binary file include statement in the SPIN part of the Propeller Manual.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-07 11:08
    I have a USB Propstick and DON'T want to desolder the existing 32K EEPROM.

However I do have some 24LC256 EEPROM's to play with.

Can I connect an additional 24LC256 EEPROM in parallel with the existing EEPROM on the PropStick USB, and simply connect A0 thru a 10K resistor to 3.3V?

Can the Propeller Tool program the additional EEPROM?

Use the I2C library object to read and write to the additional EEPROM?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-12-07 12:40
    The additional EEPROM could be used, but would require a different and likely contiguious address.
    In that way it would behave much the same as a larger EEPROM.
    You might read the 24lc256 PDF and compare to the 24lc512 PDF so that the addressing is seamless.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan