Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Embedded industrial ethernet adapter: $49.25 — Parallax Forums

Embedded industrial ethernet adapter: $49.25

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-12-05 19:49 in BASIC Stamp
All--

Gee. I wonder how difficult this "Embedded industrial ethernet adapter" would be to interface to a Stamp? The site shows it interfaced to a BASIC-Tiger micro-controller, which I know nothing about.

There is also a complete prototyping environment based on the BASIC-Tiger, as well.

I think the "Tiger", apparently there are two versions, uses RS-232 level signals. Since the ethernet module uses 5 volt signals, it looks like it might be a little easier to interface it to a Stamp.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-12-04 17:51
    It looks like you could interface either the serial version (not really RS232 ... they're logic level signals) or the parallel version to a Stamp. With the number of pins involved, I'd suggest using a BS2p40 if you're going to use the parallel version. It would work with the smaller Stamps, but you wouldn't have too many pins left over.

The main problem I see is that there's no documentation on the communication between the module and the serial line (or parallel interface). There seem to be some sample programs for the Tiger that I haven't looked at, but no real documentation on the commands that go back and forth.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-12-04 17:57
    Site link? -- Ah, it's between the 'quotes' above.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-12-04 20:12
    allanlane5--

Also click on·'prototyping environment', above. The Tiger family of processors seem capable, but strangely "out of kilter" somehow.

I will be more obvious with my links in the future.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • mojorizingmojorizing Posts: 249
    edited 2006-12-05 03:28
    Bill,

Check out SimpleLAN at http://forums.parallaxinc.com/www.avcomtec.com/splashPage.hg
    It interfaces with Stamp 2 directly, but works can with any micro. It also offers email with authentication. And it's
    only $29.95. I have one and have yet to send it through it's paces, but seems to work well.

Hope this helps, Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Bad spellers of the world untie!
    edited 2006-12-05 13:29
    mojorizing--

Thanks for the link. But, I am looking for an wireless ethernet device for my robot. It is my thought that I can add tremendous off-board processing power to the machine via wireless ethernet.

HOWEVER, that $29.95 price tag and immediate Stamp connectivity is sure attractive for a prototype project at work! If I buy one for testing, I will let you know.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • jcpolejcpole Posts: 92
    edited 2006-12-05 16:47
    Hi Bill...

Have you thought about using BlueTooth instead of Ethernet?··Bluetooth doesn't have the "complexities" of a layer 3 stack, and I believe that Parallax sells a module that emulates RS232, which should make integration very simple.

Once you factor in all of the additional "stuff" that ethernet requires, I think you'll find that·bluetooth is more efficient for what you seem to be trying to do.· I use·bluetooth on all of my combat robots, and it works extremely well.· One of my applications allows two smaller combat robots to team up against larger combatants, and they communicate via bluetooth.· They also report to my controller via bluetooth.

Just my $.02...

Jamie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --
    Jamie C. Pole
    Principal Consultant
    J.C. Pole & Associates, Inc.
    http://www.jcpa.com/
    edited 2006-12-05 19:41
    jcpole--

Yes, I have not only considered Bluetooth via the Toothpick, but will probably buy it exactly for the reasons you suggested, plus the fact that Parallax SUPPORTS it. This is very important to me.

Still, I am interested in WiFi because I am learning and wireless ethernet might be a real powerhouse in a machine with ZERO processors.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • jcpolejcpole Posts: 92
    edited 2006-12-05 19:49
    Understood...

If you choose to go with WiFi, please feel free to drop me a line with any questions you might have - my background is data network engineering, and I'd be happy to help you out.

Jamie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --
    Jamie C. Pole
    Principal Consultant
    J.C. Pole & Associates, Inc.
    http://www.jcpa.com/