Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Huge thanks to Parallax. — Parallax Forums

Huge thanks to Parallax.

FORDFORD Posts: 221
edited 2006-12-03 01:46 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to publicly thank Parallax for their help with changing the stamp editor,·done by Jeff·yesterday.

This involves use of the code generator, in the Stamp editor, file menu.

I requested·recently that the editor be able to load any of 8 slots of code when used with 8 slot stamps (eg bs2p etc). This means that you no longer have to release all of your code if you use the code generator.
Jeff also added the security of optionally not showing the person running the file which slots are being loaded.
For people with several stamps in use in remote areas etc, it is a nice secure way to be able to email an exe file to somebody with a laptop, and they can reprogram the stamp for you. In our situation, it is very useful, as we have a few thousand stamps in use in remote locations, locally and internationally.

This morning I arrived at work an there was an emailed editor update from Jeff, and he did more to the software than I requested.

I guess there will be a new version editor shortly available for download (v2.2.7).

I hope other people also get the benefits·of the new editor facility.

I have put this post up because I think Parallax deserve a pat on the back when they do this sort of stuff, it would have taken a fair bit of work to make the changes.

Thanks heaps Jeff and the team at Parallax. Your support is outstanding once again.

Regards,
Chris,
Western Australia.

Comments

• eblanckeeblancke Posts: 26
    edited 2006-12-01 09:57
    Good on you Chris ! It is good to see some Parallax acknowledgement out of Aussie !

I have found that Parallax products are·not·well accepted or liked here. There are few obvious and well publicised examples in local electronic magazines, education or·industry.

Some of us·Parallax followers have to keep quiet about our preferences !
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2006-12-01 16:43
    Hi Chris,

That is a great enhancement for the object code generator. It should make the upgrades more reliable too, but only so far as the partial updates don't combine slots from incompatible versions of programs! It puts a bigger responsibility on the program developer to track version changes and distribution.

It will be good in combo with the Stache too, to make it easier to email individual slot programs. My situations are usually several systems at one remote location under the auspices of one group, where one Sache can update all of the systems.

I'm not sure about hiding the slot progress bar. I like to tell people to watch that bar carefully to be sure that it fills completely. Especially with multiple slots, the upload sometimes aborts (due to ???) part of the way through.

I agree on the kudos to Parallax!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2006-12-01 21:51
    Hi All,

Thank you, Chris, for your many nice complements.

Tracy, the "hide" feature doesn't hide the progress bars, but rather it renames them such that it's not obvious which slots are being updated (unless all 8 are being updated, of course).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2006-12-02 00:03
    Hey Eblancke,
    Are you in Aussie ?
    I dont understand what you mean about them possibly not being accepted or liked here.

I've never heard anything negative about them. I'll use my past experiences to form my opinion of them, and my opinion of them is very high.

I especially like the fact that the management has their 'feet still on the ground', having chatted to all members of the Gracey family, they seem like a good mob. (Mob = Family in Oz).

They also have a great distributor here in Oz, who bends over backwards to help.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
    edited 2006-12-02 03:05
    I'm not familiar with what is being discussed here- "slots", Stache, Code Generator, etc. Could someone provide a simple, detailed explanation of what is being changed. I assume it pertains to changes inside the IDE. Thanks.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2006-12-02 17:42
    The original BASIC Stamp 2 has one "slot" of 2048 bytes of eeprom where the PBASIC program and data are stored. More recent stamps in the series BS2sx, BS2e, BS2p, BS2pe and BS2px all have eight "slots" of 2048 bytes of eeprom where you can store additional programs and data. There is a RUN command that allow the overall operation to switch from one bank to another. That way you can fit in 8 times as much program. The BS2pe has a total of 16 slots, but 8 of them can be used only for DATA, not program.

There is a menu item on the STAMPW.EXE file menu that offers you the option to create an "object file" from the PBASIC program that is currently loaded. Instead of programming the BASIC Stamp directly, that option creates a standalone program that you or someone you email it to can run into a Stamp connected to their computer. They do not have to have the complete development environment or see the actual program code. This is a great feature for people who make Stamp programs for a living and distribute them to customers.

The Stache is a little piece of hardware www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27330 (that my company happens to make). When connected to a computer, it mimics a BASIC Stamp and you can program it like a BASIC Stamp. But it just absorbs the program. Then you can take the Stache to a field site and plug it into a BASIC Stamp system and press a button and the resident program is transferred to the other system. It is also used mainly be people who do field updates of systems and don't want to carry along a laptop computer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
    edited 2006-12-03 01:46
    Thanks Tracy.