Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
atom? — Parallax Forums

atom?

Johnny-5Johnny-5 Posts: 34
edited 2006-12-02 12:28 in General Discussion
what is atom? i have seen that term on a few robot related sites.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-30 11:11
    A competator to the BS2 .
    Since the Propellor came along with better video, not much use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Johnny-5Johnny-5 Posts: 34
    edited 2006-12-01 18:19
    so its a microcontroller? im a noob so im not really familiar with the propeller either.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-12-01 20:57
    It's a copy of the BS2.

They brag about higher execution speed, and possibly also, interrupts.

What they DON'T brag about is the lack of a forum like this one here, which is worth much more than a bit of speed...

And no, neither it nor the BS2 are microcontrollers.

They are 'computers the size of a stamp'.
    That is, they have the peripherals needed to make it useful integrated on the board, together with the CPU(which in this case is a microcontroller)
    you can take one of these, stick it on a breadboard, add a poer source(a 4xAApack or a PP3 battery, maybe) and hook up a serial cable.
    Presto, you have a complete system.

with a microcontroller, you need to add a voltage regulator, a crystal or resonator(well, sometimes. Some can generate their own clock internally), level shifters or buffering circuits for the serial link, some sort of Firmware and so on.

Basically, with a BS2, the nitty gritty of putting the essentials together and making them work has already been done and you can go on and create whatever you want without worrying about finding the right resonator and getting the tracks from it to the microcontroller short enough that it is stable, that the voltage regulator actually regulates... all that stuff...

The closest thing to a BS2 in the Propeller area at the moment is the PropStick, but there's a 24pin module similar to the BS2 in the works, which is supposed to be pin-compatible with the BS2.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest you get a BS2, BOE-board and the WAM kit as this is the best way yet to learn about microcontrollers. (They also sell it all bundled together)
    If not, then at least download the WAM book and read through it.
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152

If you're into robotics, the Boe-bot may be a better starting-point, though.
    (It also comes with a BS2 and its own set of books, but reading the WAM book first is a good start with that one, too)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-02 01:35
    Gadgetman,
    ·
    ·· I think it’s fair to call the BASIC Stamp a Microcontroller, Hybrid Microcontroller or even an Embedded Controller.· The bottom line is the BASIC Stamp has all the things that make a Microcontroller what it is.· Just because it includes another Microcontroller as its interpreter doesn’t exclude it.· Normally you would think of a Microcontroller as a single IC requiring a regulated voltage, etc.· But there are other Microcontrollers out there that have managed to put this all into one IC being functionally the same or similar.· The BASIC Stamp is even listed on Wikipedia under Microcontrollers.· =)· Take care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcontroller#BASIC_Stamp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-12-02 12:28
    I guess I'm just a bit of a traditionalist...

smile.gif

The fact, though, is that the BS2 saves us from all the nitty gritty stuff you typically have to do with a 'normal' microcontroller.
    I'd call it a 'micro-computer' except that that term has already been used on home computers, and 'nano-computer' is so over-hyped by science rags and bad sci-fi...

When people speak of 'embedded controllers' I always think of the controllers used in industrial processes, controlling CNC-machines, robots and so on.
    (Of course, some of those may actually have a BS2 in them... )

You may want to do a once-over of the Propeller page in the Wiki, though...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_Propeller

I just cleared up a point about Spin execution speed.
    (some dofus thought it ran at the same speed as assembly... )

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...