Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
free way of internet connecting your stamp for free — Parallax Forums

free way of internet connecting your stamp for free

A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
edited 2006-11-30 20:44 in General Discussion
Here is how I successfully connected my stamp to the internet without a 100$ PINK. Of course, you must realize the sacrifices such as:
-website will only show exactly what the Stamp is sending up the serial cable
-Your Website will be Static, meaning you have to refresh it to view updated data
-You will have to host the website from your home computer [noparse]:([/noparse]
Now for the instructions:
1. Download a trial of Advanced Serial Port Terminal from:
http://www.virtualserialport.com/download/serial_port_monitor.exe
2. Install the software
3.Load the editor. In the top right, click File-New Session
4.Select the serial port your stamp is connected to and select terminal view and Select Start Monitoring Now
5. On the toolstrip menu(2nd menu from top) Hit the little down arrow next to the Terminal View button. In that menu, click Redirect to file. In the file dialog, make sure you save as type .HTML text file, and save it in your website directory folder(Or anywhere you want) Next, hook up your stamp with whatever program you want that would have the stamp debug its data. In your Serial Port Monitorer you should see your data showing up. Now, go to where you saved your .HTML file, and open it in Firefox(or Internet Explorer). You should see your data statically. Refresh, and you will see your updated data. There you go!
For information on hosting a website from your home PC go to:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1774&page=4

Hope it worked successfully for you(As it did for me) My project included a Basic Stamp sending ALERT if a PIR Sensor was triggered. Here was my code:

' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}
DO
IF (IN0 = 0) THEN 'PIR Sensor attached to IN0- See Parallax's document on PIR sensors
DEBUG "ALERT"
ENDIF
LOOP

-ACfishing

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
-Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
·

Comments

• metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-11-30 05:44
    Your home computer could process that data and automatically update a web site hosted anywhere could it not? Then you don't need to host your own web server. Just upload a new html file with data every 10 seconds or so like a web cam does.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!
  • ktekxktekx Posts: 71
    edited 2006-11-30 06:43
    thanks for this great idea, I was just looking for something like this. tongue.gif
  • Roger PiersonRoger Pierson Posts: 62
    edited 2006-11-30 16:24
    I think the PINK is a pretty good value for all the functionality it gives. I am particularly fond of the massive amount of variable space it shares.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Roger Pierson
    Senior Electronics Technicain
    DTI Assoicates
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2006-11-30 19:59
    Is their any way to get IE to refresh the page your veiwing every couple seconds?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2006-11-30 20:34
    Is their any way to get IE to refresh the page your veiwing every couple seconds?

Put this in the <HEAD> section:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="2">
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-11-30 20:44
    Yes. The PINK is a really good value, but if someone wanted to do something fast and dirty they could do it like this.
    Thanks for the tag Kenny.
    _ACfishing

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
    -Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    ·