Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware design questions — Parallax Forums

Hardware design questions

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2006-11-30 21:56 in Propeller 1
I am committing some new propeller pcb designs but I wanted to verify the actual smd packages that the pchip uses. I have a document which has a very basic solder land pattern but I am looking for the standard Jedec package numbers for the QFP and QFN. This is just to make sure that the pcb lands are optimal for this package.

Also, I haven't tried any other crystal except the 5MHz on the demo board. There won't be any problem getting this in production quantities but I am wondering if anyone is using a different frequency and what are the implications of not using the standard 5MHz.

TIA

*Peter*

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2006-11-30 05:05
    Anyone know? rolleyes.gif
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2006-11-30 05:10
    Hi Peter.
    I have the official docs re those details will dig them out and email them across to ypu pr mail..

Ronald Nollet
    Parallax Australia distributor
    edited 2006-11-30 05:26
    Many thanks o most southern one!

Here is a link for the QFP package details for anyone who is interested (NXP don't make the Propeller but they have a link for the standard package documents)
    www.nxp.com/package/SOT307-2.html

Now Ron, did you happen to have the package number for the QFN?

*Peter*
    edited 2006-11-30 12:01
    Thanks Graham, unfortunately I already have that one but what I wanted was not the incomplete short-form but the full mechanical details similar to the link that I gave for the QFP. Once you know the package type the details are easy enough to obtain.

Now, why is this a problem to find out the package details?? Shouldn't Parallax know?

grrrhhhh

*Peter*
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2006-11-30 14:05
    Peter Jakacki said...
    Also, I haven't tried any other crystal except the 5MHz on the demo board. There won't be any problem getting this in production quantities but I am wondering if anyone is using a different frequency and what are the implications of not using the standard 5MHz.

I know the DLP-PROP is running at 6 mhz with no problems. They are taking the clock off the FTDI USB chip instead of a dedicated crystal. I've heard reports on this forum that that aren't any issues.

I also used a 4 mhz crystal when I received my first prop because that's all I had in my parts boxes. I bought some 5 mhz crystals on my next Mouser order and have been using them ever since.

Brian
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-11-30 14:46
    Peter,

Type "broadcast" into the search engine. You should get a lot of feed back on the crystal issue!

Just tried it again today and didn't get near as much as I did yesterday! I don't know what I did differently. Anyway there's 7 there that may be worth looking at.

Post Edited (bambino) : 11/30/2006 2:51:41 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-30 17:54
    Peter, check your gmail account. I have sent you the mechanical drawings provided to us by the manufacturer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,660
    edited 2006-11-30 18:56
    Peter, I did a lot of digging around to find a Jedec listing or anything of the sort for the QFN package and came to the conclusion that the QFN is at this point in time not well standardized. There are a lot of manufacturers making parts in QFNs, but I never located a single other example using exactly the same package as the P8X32A-M44. Has anyone? There were a few good studies of alternative methods of laying out the pads and stencil layer. I thinkk the diagrams from the manufacturer and the suggestions from Chip are as good as it is going to get.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-11-30 21:56
    Peter, to answer your crystal question: any crystal frequency may be used, however any crystal over 10MHz couldn't use the PLL and crystals above 6MHz require a PLL setting of 8x or less.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.