Fighting against electro-fishers — Parallax Forums

Fighting against electro-fishers

svenksvenk Posts: 1
edited 2006-11-28 16:35 in BASIC Stamp
Fighting against electro-fishers.
·
Hello,
·
Here is newby, who need help. Sorry about my English, because this is not my mother-language.
·
We have problem in our country with electro-fishing poachers. They kill trouts in small rivers and streams.
·
At first we need to get some statistic, where and how often they operate. So i thought to build small immersible event logger. Device must be work independently about 3 months (or even more, if it's possible), when we load events from logger to PC. Detection ·range is about 10 metres…
·
So, can anybody suggest suitable hardware ? I know, that Basic stamp don’t include realtime clock, so obviously I need also clock-module ? Is it Basic stamp EEPROM enough for such logging (it’s really hard to say, how much events we log during 3 months – maybe 50 max..) System must be work also with low power – maybe it’s possible to build the system so, that if event is detected, then stamp “wakes” , makes some logging and then goes “sleep” again…
·
I think·hardest part is detector. It’s really hard to say , what voltage-current we have in water. And how’s with polarity… Some idea about electro-fishing device we can see here: http://www.electro-fisher.com/what_is_electrofisher.html
·
·
So, please enlight me, how reasonable this project·at all·? I have enough experience with programming industrial PLC’s, but programming with basic stamp editor is totally new for me.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-11-28 16:35
    Sven,

You might take a look at Tracy Allen's offerings here. He sells a Stamp-based data logger, along with a multitude of sensors. Plus he has experience with marine-environment sensing.

-Phil