Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What's your Propeller experimenter setup? — Parallax Forums

What's your Propeller experimenter setup?

ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
edited 2006-12-10 19:39 in Propeller 1
Just curious what folks are using to experiment with their Propeller chips?

Homemade? Demo board? Propstick? Hydra?

Since the PropTech board won't be out until after the new year, I've decided to get a PropStick USB to experiment with video and games. I'll probably ask Santa for the Hydra Book/CD and mount the PropStick USB on a homemade carrier board with the resistors and connectors needed for composite video/audio and VGA output and also some DB-9 connectors to connect Atari joysticks.

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-11-27 17:43
    Forrest,
    I use the propeller demo board. It's just a shame it only has 8 pins for the breadboard area.
    When I run out of pins I'll probably use the PRC board that I purchased awhile ago.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
    ·
  • RetrobitsRetrobits Posts: 46
    edited 2006-11-27 20:14
    Hi there Forrest,

I started with a homemade breadboard, as I already had the breadboard and some discrete components.· I purchased the Propeller 40-pin DIP chip, a 32 KB EEPROM, and the MAX3232 serial transceiver.· I couldn't find a 5 MHz crystal, so I started with a 4 MHz from my local electronics store - this meant that I had to adjust the timing section of SPIN demo programs that I downloaded.· I also hooked up the resistor DAC to drive an NTSC monitor.· Total cash outlay was less than $40, so it was a great way to start.

Having so much fun with the chip convinced me that I also wanted a Demo Board, so I saved my pennies and bought one of those as well.· It's actually very versatile to have both a breadboard setup (with all 32 pins, plus or minus the EEPROM and programming interface), and to also have the demo board which packs a lot of punch in a limited space.

I would love to have the new PropStick USB, but I suspect it'll be a while before I'm able to justify it to myself.· I'm·starting to work·on a homebrew project with the Propeller currently (a virtual floppy drive for a vintage computer) - maybe after I'm done with version 1.0, I'll reward myself!

- Earl
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2006-11-27 21:26
    I purchased the PE kit a few weeks ago, built the kit on an 8"x7" breadboord, it works for me. I got all the parts in the kit, so I could just jump into the project; plus Parallax will be providing different types of labs. Now I am thinking about getting a 2'x2' breadboard, that way I will have room for my BS2IC, an SX28 chip, and whatever else comes to mind.
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2006-11-27 21:51
    I use two propsticks because we don't have a lot of room inside the UAV and at this stage it's easier to have the Prop "essentials" in a separate board for easy removal/replacement. A problem is that the Propsticks' pins are a little big, so we had to get creative with the socket for it...
  • Simon AmplemanSimon Ampleman Posts: 19
    edited 2006-11-27 22:54
    I bought the propeller dip, 5mhz crystal, usb to rs232 chip from linx technologies, one 2n3904 from digi-key for about 35$.

Put all that on one of my breadboard.. And that's it...

Simon
    ·
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-11-27 23:23
    I'm a software guy who's ever-so-slowly teaching himself electronics. I didn't know enough to breadboard a Propeller so I bought a PropStick when they were first announced. I use it on the Professional Development Board. I later bought a Propeller Demo Board so that it would be easier to play with keyboard, video, audio, etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • lairdtlairdt Posts: 36
    edited 2006-11-28 00:03
    Purchased the PE kit (plus PING module) and set it up on one section of my 10.5" by 7.5" breadboard, giving lots of space to connect new stuff next to it. Initially hooked up components I had laying around in my project scrap bin, but I've got an order from Mouser with new stuff arriving this week. Payday allowing, I'll pick up some more chips/sensors so I have something to program for to get more into the actual sping/prop asm. I will be getting a printed manual for sure.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-02 00:15
    The Propstick USB is on it's way from Parallax and I ordered a Propeller Robot Controller kit also www.wulfden.org/PRC/

This will be interesting to see how a Propstick USB works when mounted on the PRC board (after I double check the Vin and Vdd connections).

It'll be interesting to see if I can program the Propeller DIP chip if I wire it to the programming pins on the Propstick USB.

Has anyone tried this setup?
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-12-02 01:25
    Forrest,

I began with the PropSTICK; the one with DB9 i/f.

Then realized it could be used on a project that needs 2 Props to i/f with a TTL section. The protoboard (from All Electronics) worked well. Here's a photo.

Am using FullDuplex object for i/f from one pcb (a keypad and 6-digit LED), and also between the two Props; with Freq Synth object for the 2nd Prop clock in.

The photo doesn't show all the i/f wiring to/from that TTL section. Getting the major portion of it designed/programmed presently. Fun work with the Prop, for sure. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    640 x 480 - 58K
  • Ferret7Ferret7 Posts: 4
    edited 2006-12-02 18:56
    My development configuration -
    Parallax Professional Development Board
    OPTAscope 81M (2 channel digital real time oscilloscope)
    Pod-A-Lyzer 8020 (16 channel logic analyzer)
    Dimax U2G-12 - (I2C debugger)
    Citizen monitor (4" video display)
    Tina Pro 7.0 (for ancillary circuit design and PCB development)
    PropSTICK
    1600 x 1200 - 165K
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-12-02 19:31
    propstick in a RS breadboard
    PRC on a boebot chassis
    a podified BSLA (cheap and effective 16ch LA)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-12-02 19:46
    My Home Brew Propeller Demo Board board is still going strong! Right now there are several projects built on it.

Still using the serial programming adapter that I built even though I put a header in for the USB2SER.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    2048 x 1536 - 901K
  • acantostegaacantostega Posts: 105
    edited 2006-12-03 00:20
    Forrest said...
    The Propstick USB is on it's way from Parallax and I ordered a Propeller Robot Controller kit also www.wulfden.org/PRC/

This will be interesting to see how a Propstick USB works when mounted on the PRC board (after I double check the Vin and Vdd connections).

It'll be interesting to see if I can program the Propeller DIP chip if I wire it to the programming pins on the Propstick USB.

Has anyone tried this setup?

I have used the PRC extensively and it works great (the robot on Wolfden's front page is mine smile.gif ).
    But why would you put the propstick on it? It doesn't make sense. The propstick USB is 80 bucks, a DIP-40 propeller only 12 bucks.

I also have an ordinary Propstick on a breadboard.

For the PRC programming I've been using a serial adapter I made myself, but sometimes when used in combination with an USB-serial adapter in my laptop it doesn't work, so I'm thinking of getting a usb2ser or a propclip.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2006-12-03 00:25
    640 x 480 - 45K
    edited 2006-12-03 00:57
    Why use the Propstick USB on a PRC? I like the layout of the PRC board and plan on making 2 small boards that contain resistors and connectors for composite video, sound, VGA and joystick ports that attach thru the female headers on the PRC. When it's finished, it's going to look something like the Spin Studio.
    edited 2006-12-03 01:46
    Ok, but I mean, if you just put a plain Propeller chip on the PRC, it'll work and you can attach anything on it. The PRC has 3.3 v regulators and the Propstick USB too. You'd be duplicating functionality. Furthermore, the Propstick USB will be fed with 3.3V if you put it on the PRC, and as far as I know the propstick usb is using linear regulators so it needs at least 5V to make 3.3V. So it may not work.
    The PRC female headers are pretty nice, btw. I wonder where they got them.
    edited 2006-12-03 01:47
    parts-man73 said...
    Here's my experimenter setup

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=619082

That looks pretty slick, Parts-man. Made the board yourself?
    Edit: Duh, I hadn't seen the "spin studio" thread.
  • PVJohnPVJohn Posts: 60
    edited 2006-12-03 02:03
    It looks that we are all working on the same idea. My first version was completed 2 mnts ago, and a new one is coming very soon. It will be very similar to spin studio, but with more option. Check this link: http://www.propeller-ic.com//Pages/Protoboard/Board.htm
    You can buy·this one·for $60 + S&H. They are hand-soldered and they work great.·My board will include·connectors for some other toys from Parallax. If you have any idea or suggestion, please feel free to contact me.Web site will be updated soon with more cool stuff especially for the us (european users), since I live here. You'll be also able to buy·or sell·used toys.
    PVJohn
    ·
    edited 2006-12-03 02:26
    PVJohn,

Nice Board! I've had mine done for a little while now. I am working on some other modules, they should be ready by the time the beta test is complete and they will be available either with, or as an accessory for SpinStudio.

The other modules I am working on include
    • USB programming module to use in place of the serial module pictured.
    • Composite Video
    • Audio amplifier with headphone jack
    • and some others that I'll mention later

I've been working on documentation, webdesign and soldering together of prototypes for the beta-testers for the last couple of months.

Probably any more comments on SpinStudio should be posted over in the thread I started for it, so that this thread doesn't stray to far from it's original intent.

Brian
    edited 2006-12-03 02:57
    Brian, I think you have a great board and you are welcome to sell it through my web site if you wish. PayPal·payment option will be active soon.

Regards,

PVJohn
    edited 2006-12-03 03:34
    I appreciate the gracious offer of cooperation, and will definitely keep it in mind when I start selling them.
    As you are in Europe, it may help with transit times and keep shipping costs for European customers lower.

Sincerely,
    Brian
    edited 2006-12-03 08:21
    Just to answer the original question. I'm working on the project that will read files from USBdisk and print them on TV and printer. I bought USBwiz IC from ghi electronics and now I'm populating a PCB with components. I have 2 extra PCB if anybody is interested. No SD card, just 2 USB ports for USBWiz and one for Propeller.

PVJohn
    2816 x 2112 - 1M
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-12-08 17:31
    PVJohn,
    ·
    ·· Did you use Eagle to design this board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-12-08 17:45
    Chris,

I'm using Protel 99

PVJohn
    edited 2006-12-10 07:35
    Soldered the Propeller Robot Controller together yesterday and today. Tonight I mounted the Propstick USB on the board, connected resistors to P12 (1.1K), P13 (560 ohm) and P14 (270 ohm) to a composite video monitor and loaded up the Graphics_Demo.spin - worked the first time [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm happy to say only minimal changes were needed to use the Propstick USB on the PRC. Specifically, I mounted a socket for the crystal on the board and left it empty when using the Propstick USB. The only other change was I left the EEPROM socket on the PRC empty. The Propstick USB is powered from the regulated 3.3V from the PRC on pins 12 and 32 - same as the P8X32A-D40.
  • tdustdus Posts: 6
    edited 2006-12-10 09:47
    Hi,

on the picture you can see a snapshoot from my propeller workplace.
    I experimented a lot of time and now I have manufactured my own boards. Easy to use for fast hardware and software design. I sell a small number of items here in Germany with large success.

More information (schematic diagram.... ) you can found on my website: www.tdus.de

Best Regards
    Uwe
    800 x 600 - 66K
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-12-10 19:39
    Here is my rig:

Demoboard and TV display mounted in an MDF box. Unfortunately the keyboard is not functional (usb only it turned out) but will be if I can find time to do a ps/2 encoder as I planned or use the new FTDI chip.

I'm working on something similar for more hard core prototyping but I'm also moving house.

Graham
    600 x 450 - 53K