Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using BS2 as large motor controller — Parallax Forums

Using BS2 as large motor controller

milenkomilenko Posts: 1
edited 2006-11-27 15:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,

I'm building a large (~5ft long) remote controlled tank for battling with paintballs.· See www.rctankcombat.com for an idea of what I'm talking about.· I'm at the stage where I need to start thinking about the motor controller.· I have two 24V DC motors that should pull around 40A at full power.· I believe the stall current is something like 90A.

I'd like to use one of my BS2s as a motor controller rather than purchasing a $400+ controller.· I know I can read signals from a RC reciever, but the part I'm confused about is interfacing with the motors.· I have some Crydom SSRs that I'd like to use and I know that these can be sent a PWM signal for speed conrol.· I plan on building these into an H-bridge so I have proportional speed control for both motors in forward and reverse.· What I'm wondering is if I should use something like a motor mind C to drive the SSRs.· I think I could also use a PWMPAL to generate the PWM signals, but I don't know if I'd be able to drive the SSRs directly from the PWMPAL, or if I'd need to have something else in the circuit to power the SSRs.

If anyone has used SSRs to drive large load motors, etc please let me know how you did it and how well it worked.

Thanks,

Jeremy