Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HandCarved_PCB — Parallax Forums

HandCarved_PCB

bambinobambino Posts: 789
edited 2006-12-04 13:26 in Propeller 1
Ten minutes into the etching process I noticed the metal under some of my pen strokes was getting ate away by the etching solution. I terminated the bath and found the board still 90 % shorted to the ground plane. However the pads for the Prop where already etched out so I was afraid to repaint and continue etching.
Not wanting to spend another day reading about the Prop on this forum without having one of my own I BROKE OUT THE HOBBY KNIFE COLLECTION.

Only one one trace didn't Ohm out(the RX line), But It's repairable!
It shouldn't be long now.

Thanks again to Parallax, Chip, and the good folks in this forumscool.gif
2304 x 1728 - 826K
2304 x 1728 - 819K
2304 x 1728 - 825K

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-11-27 15:49
    An interesting approach.
    At times I think using a dremel tool and cutting freehand after laying out the parts with and overlay of paper might just complete a small job faster.

I have several Beam projects that are just too small to bother with photo etch and chemicals and I have not found a way to combine them into one image either.

BTW, I drill all my holes by hand, even when there are several hundred.
    It seems that using a pin vise and a drill are faster and I have more control that an electric drill.
    I just take the board to Starbucks and drill while I am having moring coffee.

As a journeyman carpenter, I learned that no matter how much automation there is; there is always a place for the handcrafted details.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-11-27 15:57
    George, if you need some small board made, maybe I could do it on my·SuperMill. Limitations are board size 1.7 x 4.5 inches and single sided.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-11-27 16:07
    Kramer,

I've always drawn my circuit boards by hand, But until this Thanksgiving I never thought of doing it this way.

I drill all my holes too. I have a little hand tool with bits in the handle and it really makes my "hurry up and wait day" go by fast.

Not fimiliar with your term "beam", If your refering to lining up the lines on double-sided copper, I drill my through holes before drawing my lines, that gives me a reference to go by when I flip the board.

Over all it was, and still is fun to see it come together.

I am not out of this one yet though.

But I am just a trip to radio shack away from communicating with the magic smoke inside the chipsmhair.gif
    2304 x 1728 - 849K
  • David BDavid B Posts: 591
    edited 2006-11-27 21:11
    I usually don't have the patience to deal with such tiny parts. But recently I mistakenly ordered an ADC chip in the super-tiny surface-mount version, and not having the patience to wait for the larger part, I used my Dremel with a carbide bit to carve out a working board by hand. It was not easy - the tool kept walking away from the intended line. The first attempt totally messed up, but the second worked ok.

I used to clear up remaining shorting whiskers on home-etched boards by charging a capacitor, then discharging it between the shorted traces. Poof! Maybe not the best way to do it but probably the fastest!

I also used to draw my circuit chip layout pattern on a predrilled perforated epoxy board, then use it as a template to predrill the copper board. It really worked well - with the positioning template, I could drill dozens of holes a minute - zing, zing, zing, zing... Then I'd draw the mask on the copper, using the holes as indexing marks.
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2006-11-27 22:51
    How hard is it to get set up with home etching? I've been an electronics hobbyist for years but always considered etching as something I couldn't do at home. It looks like you guys are doing quite well at it.
  • edited 2006-11-28 04:51
    Hi Dennis... I am having success with the really economical Gootee Method .. http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm

The Gootee name comes from his creator.. it is basically a method where you print your design on a laser printer (NOT inkjet printers!!) using cheap deskjet paper and then you iron the design into a clean PCB.. since the toner is basically microscopic plastic particles.. it melts into the PCB... then you remove the paper by soaking the PCB in water... and Viola! I also tried different types of transparency sheet for projectors... and if done properly.. it leaves clean toner traces and it requires no PCB soaking ... you just peel it off after cooling down...but it is more difficult to find the right transparency..

For etching... I found that one part Muriatic Acid and two parts Hydrogen Peroxide does the trick ... the benefit... the solution is clear, so you can see the etching progress... it is super cheap compared to more traditional etching chemicals... the catch... the vapors are poisonous.. :-( so you MUST do it in an open area .... The Gootee Method offers simplicity.... it is really economic and requires simple resources; laser, paper, a clothes iron, muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide.... and as any other method.. it requires trial and error and patience... and although it will not produce professional grade PCBs most of the time.... it saves money that you can use on your next project.. I hope this helps.. smile.gif

Post Edited (Joe "Bot" Red) : 12/3/2006 4:04:45 AM GMT
    edited 2006-11-28 13:25
    Dennis,

I am aware that there are several methods of getting boards etched, however I,ve only ventured on one because it's readily available at our local Radio Shack, thus more convienant for me.(Whether it is the best approach I don't know!).

The Shack has a starter kit that will set you back about 10 bucks and with the instructions in the kit you should get a general understanding of the process. Don't expect a miracle though, Radio Shacks instructions are a lot more vague than say "Parallax". This kit uses Fumeric Chloride and I've found you can guage the etching process speed by varying the temperature of the solution. ie. Hotter=Faster. But I didn't know until this board that the ink in my pens could go bad and cause strokes made by that pen to not resist the Chloride as it should.

But I guess the cheapest way is buy a board and grap some Razor Blades and Band Aides.

Good Luck Though It is rewarding to see one Hummmm after hooking the power to it.

Almost forgot!

Last night I repaired the Rx line, and found one I missed on the Mouse power supply line and fixed it. I can't wait.hop.gif

Post Edited (bambino) : 11/28/2006 1:29:39 PM GMT
  • Karl SmithKarl Smith Posts: 50
    edited 2006-11-28 17:36
    I built hydra on a proto board, I put the Video, Audio, 1 PS/2 port for the Mouse, and the NES port's (I got some connectors on ebay they are'nt PCB mount but work).

I plan to make a circuit board sometime in the future so I can have the expansion port.
    2592 x 1944 - 2M
    edited 2006-11-28 18:04
    David,

Just how big of a cap where you using to do that. Sounds like something I would do!

Karl,

I've not really followed the Hydra that much, I knew from the first that it was not going to fit my budget. But I understand the manuel is something I should take a look at!

I am not going to fool with PCB connectors either, instead I am placing pins to attach wires to my periphials much like the HDD LED in most computers attaches to the mother board. Not that I got anything against them, I just wanted more freedom in choosing where to mount them on my Project incloseure.
    edited 2006-11-29 14:43
    I've reached my first block with this board.

The demo board schematic calls for 240ohm resistors, Early I had misread the value for 270ohm. When I went to get 240ohm resistors, they(Radio Shack) did not carry them. A look at the parrallax site turned up only 220's and 270's.

Any suggestions on where to get these, or justifiable substitutes?
    edited 2006-11-29 14:46
    DigiKey 240EBK is the part number; however, you can use the 270.· They should work just fine.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2006-11-29 14:52
    The shortest distace between two points! I like it!

What does·the 270·do for the VGA? Does it just vary the color?
    edited 2006-11-29 15:16
    The 270 - and the 470 - act as voltage dividers for the DAC.· The first board I built had 270's and worked just fine.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-11-29 15:26
    my VGA is built with 220 and 470 and works fine as well

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2006-11-29 15:38
    Thanks to you Guys,

With any luck I'll finish soldering tonight and have the interface built and hooked up by the weekend.

And then explain to the family where I've been for the last weekskull.gif
    edited 2006-12-01 13:18
    All done with the soldiering except for a couple optional·pins that can give me greater filter capacity later on. No Shorts, No Opens!!

The Interface may take a little longer than I first thought and I'm not sure I'll have the whole weekend to work on it. But all is well and steady as she goes.
    1280 x 960 - 197K
    edited 2006-12-04 13:26
    I love Parallaxburger.gif

I got the interface done and was able to get th fullduplex and simple debug up and going, EEPROM works great. My data and clock lines for the keyboard and mose got wired backwards as I found out this morning on the web, but as soon as that is done I should see some good results there as well.

I guess I'll have to break down and buy one of those crystals now and try this TV object out.

I have not had this much fun since college!!!!

Thanks again to all.
    1280 x 960 - 132K
    1280 x 960 - 207K
    out.jpg 132.1K
    in.jpg 206.8K