Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Powering the BS2 — Parallax Forums

Powering the BS2

SouLJahSouLJah Posts: 35
edited 2006-11-27 00:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hey I'm pretty new to electronics, and·I have a real simple question, and I'm sure·I will get a lot of responses.· I have a bs2 on a board of education board, and I know the microcontroller can be powered with up to 12VDC, my question is if I connect a 12V battery to the Board, will it fry the microcontroller, if so why?? And if not why not??

Comments

• Aristides AlvarezAristides Alvarez Posts: 486
    edited 2006-11-25 23:34
    Hello,
    You can find a table with information regarding power supplies based on the combination of microcontroller and carrier board you have:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/componentshop/power.asp

All of our boards are meant to be connected to VDC supplies, so your battery is just fine. The label in the USB PCB (Printed Circuit Board) is trying to cover all the possible module combinations that you could plug in it and that’s why it states 6-9 Volts. As you can see in the table in the link above, you can use 12 Volts with the BS2 microcontroller in the BOE.

Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aristides Alvarez
    Education and Technical Support Manager
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-11-25 23:34
    The board has a 5V regulator on which will regulate any input from 6.5V to 28V down to 5V, as does the BASIC Stamp itself (input range will be different). But, the board's regulator will become hotter as the input input voltage increases coupled with whatever current is drawn, so while 12V works fine though a little warm, anything above that may become very hot. I'm not sure about the regulator on the BS2 itself as to maximum input. 12V battery will be ok.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • SouLJahSouLJah Posts: 35
    edited 2006-11-26 02:51
    So let me get this straight, if someone was to use a car battery for example, it would work just find?
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-11-26 03:02
    A car battery is only 12V, so it's fine. The benefit is the BS2 would run for a LONG time [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • terahertzterahertz Posts: 55
    edited 2006-11-26 03:38
    SouLJah said...
    So let me get this straight, if someone was to use a car battery for example, it would work just find?
    The load (your BS2) always and only determines the power cosumption, it could be connected to a 9V battery or a 12V nuclear power plant.

I'm going to subject my BS2 to a high current 12VDC source with 20A fluctuating·parallel inductive loads.·I'm not anticipating any problems, but if I have any you'll read about them on this forum.
  • Brad BentleyBrad Bentley Posts: 11
    edited 2006-11-27 00:48
    a car battery while running is 14.4 volts, so a car battery without alternator running is 12 v, so technically yes it will run off a car battery, but running the board while the car is running and alternator is charging is probably not safe (14.4v). You would be over volting, and im not sure if there is a protection system within?